Kohler Trend, Replace 3 hole shower valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on a 3 hole shower valve. I have to replace the rubber washer (circled in red) every couple of months. It's only on the hot side. I'm thinking I need to replace the seat as well, but looking for advice.
  • replace the whole valve with cartridge units (I have decent access from behind)
  • replace the seat
  • replace the 3 hole with a single unit with a renovation plate (kind of ugly)
20181022_153040.jpg
20190210_200852.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to replace the seat as well, but looking for advice.
Yes. Replace the seat too.

Replace the 3 hole with a single unit with a renovation plate (kind of ugly)
Does not need to be ugly at all, but more work than a seat. It would give you thermostatic or at least pressure balancing too.

tl2368ep_repair_4.jpg

Moen Posi-Temp with TL2368EP trim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A new, code compliant (you're grandfathered) valve would help if you decide to sell the house, and it does help protect from scalding. Depending on your existing plumbing and use pattern, that may or may not be a normal problem.

My preference would be a thermostatically controlled valve versus a pressure balanced one, but that's me...

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Compare the diverter stem to yours. Hot and cold is no problem but the Kohler Trend series used multiple diverters. Try sending a photo to them of your diverter to see if it matches.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
One of my gripes with Kohler is that they tend to have the design of the day...unlike many of the others out there, they seem to change not only the trim (everyone does this), but also the guts of their valves sometimes, with small volumes sold. Their parts book is like a phone book...lots of entries. This is one reason why it's hard to often locate the specific part you may need...nobody wants to stock so many, only the more common ones.

Your best bet is to call Kohler and verify EXACTLY what you need, otherwise, you may never get things working again. If anyone buys anything Kohler, make sure to file away the instructions which have the parts list. Then, and only then, can you at least start looking for the proper part that will work.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Boy did you save me some headache.

I tried to pull the diverter stem out but I didn't have the tools to get it all the way out. It's like there some kind of ball/socket that wouldn't unscrew. I was able to get the cap off the diverter though.

Can anyone suggest a replacement for this? I've looked but can only find single handle faucets for new construction. I'm not a big fan of the big diamond cover plate, but will go with that if that's all there is. I have easy access from behind.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Since the early 80's, all shower valves must have anti-scald tech. It's far easier to do that with a new, single-handle valve. But, there are stand-alone anti-scald valves that can be plumbed in. It's just that they tend to be a pain to install, and add a second thing, hidden in the wall where you must have access for service, that most people don't want to deal with.

All of the modern ones will have one or two handles. Sometimes, you can add a third one for a diverter, depending on the configuration, but that adds costs. Those that have two handles typically control the volume separately, and the other one controls the temperature. The temperature control can be a simple mixing valve or it can be a thermostatically controlled valve. Many of those tw0-handle designs make the two items concentric, but there are some that have two distinct handles.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Boy did you save me some headache.

I tried to pull the diverter stem out but I didn't have the tools to get it all the way out. It's like there some kind of ball/socket that wouldn't unscrew. I was able to get the cap off the diverter though.

Can anyone suggest a replacement for this? I've looked but can only find single handle faucets for new construction. I'm not a big fan of the big diamond cover plate, but will go with that if that's all there is. I have easy access from behind.

TUSCANNY faucets makes a pretty good 3 handle tub and shower faucet and two handle ones also...
They are basically Delta knock offs and have worked perfectly for me for the past 15 years... cost about 60 bucks.
I have a hardware store called Menards in the mid west that carries them
We have never had a problem with any of them and never gone back yet
they basically have delta stems and washers in them.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks