Permit Process and Timing

Users who are viewing this thread

David Albright

Reaction score
I have two house projects that I am planning that sort of tie in together and I am looking for some information on the timelines around the permits. Some background: I am the homeowner of the house I am working on and fairly experienced DIYer. I am also planning on selling the house within the next year. I also understand that permitting processes are very localized, but I thought I would start here and ask questions to the city second.

Project 1 is to replace the galvanized steel plumbing in the house. The plumbing system is fairly simple in that there are several fixtures in the unfinished basement that are easy to access, a short run to the kitchen which is also easy to access, and lastly a run to the upstairs bathroom (there is no main floor bath).

Project 2 is to remodel the aforementioned upstairs bathroom. The plan would be to not move any fixtures but replace pretty much everything (I'd guess the last remodel was done in the 80's and the tub is a 1941 original).

My goal would be to do project 1 and just connect in the existing galvanized steel lines from the upstairs bathroom to my new PEX until I am ready for project 2 to minimize the disruptions in the house.

So questions:
1). From a permit/inspection perspective, I am assuming there is no issue leaving the galvanized steel run to the upstairs bathroom until I am ready for project 2? Pretty confident this is true but thought I would ask.

2). For project 1, what sort of timeline am I looking at there? I am pretty confident I can do the PEX work in a day or two but how long will the plumbing need to remain off while waiting for the inspection? Days, weeks, months?

3). I have no plans to replace any drain/waste/vent lines. Most of the upstairs run is cast iron and thus far has shown no signs of problems. Is it a ridiculous assumption I won't have much work here?

Thank you for any information!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1. shouldn't be a problem
2. this is really a very local thing. Around here, you can sometimes get an inspector out the same day, but not always...depends on the season. Other locales are likely to differ, maybe significantly.
3. CI can last a very long time, and is still a premium product. Changing it to pvc or abs and you're likely to hear lots more noises when things are draining and for awhile afterwards if you've used hot water...they expand, then contract, and that movement can make noises.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
but how long will the plumbing need to remain off while waiting for the inspection? Days, weeks, months?
Why would you think you can't use the plumbing until the inspector shows? It is up to YOU to do a pressure test on all the new
water supply piping, and no reason not to use it if it's functional.

It's your call about replacing any drain lines. Most galv. steel drains would probably be long past their expected service life. I can't tell
you how many tens of thousands of dollars I have seen wasted by folks who had the opportunity to replace their old stuff at minimal cost,
but declined, and paid a very high price later on to not only replace, but repair consequent damage.

David Albright

Reaction score
Thank you both for the responses and information.

Why would you think you can't use the plumbing until the inspector shows? It is up to YOU to do a pressure test on all the new
water supply piping, and no reason not to use it if it's functional.
Yeah - this is why I ask the questions :)

One more question - we are planning on using tile for the tub surround and I've been looking at the backer board requirements in code. I believe this is the relevant section:
R702.4 Ceramic tile.

R702.4.2 Fiber-cement, fiber-mat reinforced cementitious backer units, glass mat gypsum backers and fiber-reinforced gypsum backers.
Fiber-cement, fiber-mat reinforced cementitious backer units, glass mat gypsum backers or fiber-reinforced gypsum backers in compliance with ASTM C 1288, C 1325, C 1178 or C 1278, respectively, and installed in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations shall be used as backers for wall tile in tub and shower areas and wall panels in shower areas.

I'd prefer to use something like wedi backer boards or GoBoard. Does the building code here in Minnesota prevent me from using those? I don't believe either of those are cement or gypsum based.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WRT Wedi, print a copy of the ICC approval notice on this page https://us.wedi.de/downloads/ and take it to the building department...they'll probably say okay

Another choice might be KerdiBoard from www.schluter.com . Finding their ICC letter is a bit harder, you'd probably have to call them for a copy or link.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks