Only need calcite in my system now with new well, tube sticks when adding calcite

Users who are viewing this thread

Lizzard2

Reaction score
I have a CSI system. I have a reg. 2007 10"x 54" Enpress 1054 tank that is about 1/2 full of media. My well has tested zero for iron since 2007, with my new well. My PH has been about 6.4 at the pressure tank since 2007. The problem I have is every time I try to add a 50 lbs bag of calcite the tube raises up about an inch. I cut an inch off one time, I emptied the media one time.
Should I get a csi dome hole tank for $200.00? Or do they make a cheaper after maket one? Has a 2-1/2" opening.

Will I need to buy 20 lbs of gravel, for just calcite in a dome hole tank? There is no gravel in my current tank. I removed my aerator tank from the system about 6 months ago, I don't need it now right?
Thanks
Mike

Lizzard2

Reaction score
I have a control valve that I like to reuse so can can back wash the tank a few times a week. What's making the tube stick to the control valve, when filling the tank with calcite. Will adding a little plumbing grease to the o ring in the lower control valve fix this problem?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Silicone grease is to be used on all O rings when assembling components. Without lubrication, there is a potential of damaging or deforming the O ring with the square edge of the riser tube when reinstalling the control valve to the top of the tank.

Suggest lubricating the top outer diameter of the riser tube to ensure whatever length of tube that passes through the O ring will be adequately lubed.

Lizzard2

Reaction score
Thanks, when I replaced the parts inside the control valve it came with silicone grease that's why I asked. Like
Danco Plumbers Silicone Grease? I think I will keep my orginal tank and remove the media and just add calcite. Will I need to first add 20 lbs of gravel in the bottom? Should the tube only be 1/2" above the top of the tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, when I replaced the parts inside the control valve it came with silicone grease that's why I asked. Like
Danco Plumbers Silicone Grease?
Yes, but that is only 0.5 ounces. https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/
I like Molykote 111 5.3 ounce (150 grams) tube for o-rings. It is on the stiffer side. A little goes a long way.
Dow MOLYKOTE 7 Release Compound is a little less viscous, and might be the better match for this job.

Will I need to first add 20 lbs of gravel in the bottom?
I think it is like 12 to 15... but I could be off.

Should the tube only be 1/2" above the top of the tank?
Most controllers (Fleck and Clack) want the PVC distributor pipe even with the top of the tank.

I don't know if there is a gadget to keep the tube down as you remove the controller.

Lizzard2

Reaction score
It says 16 lbs. of gravel is needed for my 10x 54 tank, not sure how much room that will tank.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I don't know the riser tube requirements for your non-Fleck/Clack controller. As you mentioned cutting the riser tube previously, I expect it may now be too short when re-seated in the indent at the bottom of the tank.

With adding lubricant to the top of the riser tube, I expect the riser tube will be less likely to raise or twist when removing the control valve next time.

There only needs to be enough gravel height to cover the bottom distributor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks