PVC to CPVC adapter ? By Genova how reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kdc

Reaction score
This is an adapter from PVC to CPVC coming off of pressure regulator from the incoming water line from meter. I have Never seen a PVC to CPVC adapter and I did not know they existed. .... Has Genova. 51577 PVC. CPVC on the seam .....I am going to replace with a stainless threaded CPVC slip combo adapter ( can no longer get the brass one in our area ) and new union side because I am afraid of failure of the glue weld between the CPVC and PVC adapter .. How reliable or safe are these adapters if any one knows ???.

Attachments

• 9D73AFA1-AFAF-4C2A-858A-A21E025BE7EC.jpeg
    9D73AFA1-AFAF-4C2A-858A-A21E025BE7EC.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 654
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
ASTM D3138 PVC to CPVC transition cement is green. I think that is for non-pressure piping, however.

So after looking around, I don't know if what you have is OK. I would tend to think not.

CPVC cement is yellow I think, and you look to have PVC primer, and I presume PVC cement on what look like CPVC to CPVC.

Last edited:

Kdc

Reaction score
ASTM D3138 PVC to CPVC transition cement is green. I think that is for non-pressure piping, however.

So after looking around, I don't know if what you have is OK. I would tend to think not.

CPVC cement is yellow I think, and you look to have PVC primer, and I presume PVC cement on what look like CPVC to CPVC.
Thank you . My thoughts too. I think it will fail over time . Even though cold water supply , it might hold for a year or two but I think needs to be replace .

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the adapter itself, but, as Reach pointed out, the installation was not done with the correct transition cement. So it is a fail waiting to happen.

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kdc

Reaction score
This is an adapter from PVC to CPVC coming off of pressure regulator from the incoming water line from meter. I have Never seen a PVC to CPVC adapter and I did not know they existed. .... Has Genova. 51577 PVC. CPVC on the seam .....I am going to replace with a stainless threaded CPVC slip combo adapter ( can no longer get the brass one in our area ) and new union side because I am afraid of failure of the glue weld between the CPVC and PVC adapter .. How reliable or safe are these adapters if any one knows ???.

Update : replaced all fittings .. took out the cpvc Union and use a coupling , replaced the old ball valve too , because old one was leaking slow , used cpvc primer and yellow flowguard cement and then hook all back up and then discover a small leak at the water pressure regulator bottom brass Union connected to the pvc male thread coupling .. ugh !!! Teflon tape was used on pvc thread .... A big no no ! . And the pvc male threads were bottom out on the brass Union . I must have slip the Union some and broke the tape seal when reconnecting top Union Remove the female end of brass union And Teflon tape off pvc threads ...Then use pipe sealant on pvc threads then reattached brass Union to pvc . just hope pvc make thread is ok and not stress enough to fail . Wanted to cut the pvc male thread coupling out and replace it with pvc to metal coupling with metal threads too ...but wife and kids, grand kids were ready for water . Hope it holds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DA060D0B-8902-44A7-8CEA-C6E1E75BFA80.jpeg
    DA060D0B-8902-44A7-8CEA-C6E1E75BFA80.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 231
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks