Bathtub size 57" long

Users who are viewing this thread

kmccall

Reaction score
I want to replace my bathtub but the tub i have now is 57" long and it is wall to wall. All tubs seem to be 60", What shall I do?

Nate R

Reaction score
There are 4 ft and 4.5 ft tubs. You can build up the back wall to 54". American standard has both 48 and 54 inch available.
The Huron is a 4 ft, and the Mackenzie is a 4.5 foot.

And five foot tubs.
When you add drywal, and tile, the inside measurement with a five foot tub can be 59" or less, depending on how thick the tile is. It's very likelly that you have a 60" tub. Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tubs are measured from the studs (the actual whole tub, not just the part you can see), not between the finished walls. If you have 57" between the finished walls, it is almost certainly a 60" tub. No tub can be replaced and keep the tiled walls intact. At least the row next to the tub has to come off, and probably more to get the old one out of there and a new one installed. If it is truely 57" stud-to-stud, it is going to be hard to find a replacement as that is an odd size.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is the tub 57" or 60"?

Many tub builds see a 1/2" backer board go up against the studs. Then building paper lapping over the tub's tile flange and hopefully cement board. With tile, waterproofing and thin-set your wall build can be anywhere from 1 1/8" - 1 5/8"

Cement-Board-Installed-to-a-Shower-Surround.jpg

Source Of Photo: more info on proper cement board installations:
U.S. Department of Energy

The drawing above does not show the second 1/2" layer but it often found like this.

The math goes like this;

2 x 1 5/8" = 3 1/4" ( 1 5/8" = 1/2" backer 1/2" cement board 3/8" tile 3/16" thin-set 1/16" waterproofing)

60" - 3 1/4" = 56 3/4" : Finished tile to finished tile

I think any standard tub will work for you. Best remove some tile and find out first. Do that up high so you can continue to use the tub until it's replacement arrives.

JW - "When it's perfect. It's Good Enough."

LLLLL5

Reaction score
my tub doesn't come to the end of the wall, so I can measure wall to wall in front of it. the distance is 57.75". if that is the distance how can a 60" tub fit in that space. even if I take off the drywall, still there isn't enough room for a 60" tub.
How can I replace this? Do I go to a smaller one and build up the wall? What exactly needs to be behind the tub?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Are you actually looking at the physical ends of the tub? There's sometimes a lot that is not visible without tearing the walls off.

Reaction score
That's because the tub is touching your studs, or possibly recessed into the studs.

Cementboard, waterproofing, thinset mortar, and tiles, can easily add 1-inch to each side, so your 60" already turns to a 58".

LLLLL5

Reaction score
That's because the tub is touching your studs, or possibly recessed into the studs.

Cementboard, waterproofing, thinset mortar, and tiles, can easily add 1-inch to each side, so your 60" already turns to a 58".

I measured from wall to wall. so the tub is going behind the wall? even the wall in front of the tub? And I still need to put the cementboard, waterproofing, thinset mortar (there are no tiles in the tub that's there now, but there will be). with all that stuff that needs to be installed, I will have room for the 60" tub?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They only make 60" and 54" tubs.
Yes, the 60" will work in there.

Each end wall will have at the least, 1/2" wallboard. Add some mud to that, and it takes up even more space.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The rough-in dimensions are from the bare walls, i.e., the studs, with no finished wall covering on them. Often, the rough-in is slightly oversized to make it easier to set the tub, but can't be too far, or it makes for a messy install.

Marty Miller

Reaction score
I realize that this post is from several years ago but I just found out there are 57 in tub and shower combinations. I am a contractor and after 20 years I'm doing this type of work I have finally found I-57 in tub and shower combo

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe they are thinking of Bathfitter. They measure what you have and make it fit inside the tile walls you already have.

If you are removing the old tub, and going to the studs, then you're looking at 60" all day long.

Jonathan Wang

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I have a 1970s house. I measured just about 58" from drywall to drywall unless there is supposed to be more room behind drywall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm having the same problem. I have a 1970s house. I measured just about 58" from drywall to drywall unless there is supposed to be more room behind drywall.

There is more room behind the drywall.
The room is framed at 60-1/4" inches for a 60" tub. Then the drywall and tile goes in. Sometimes they shim the walls so that the backing goes over the tub lip. I have never seen anything but a 60" tub except for a custom made Bathfitter installation "over" the wallboard and tile.

Jonathan Wang

Reaction score
There is more room behind the drywall.
The room is framed at 60-1/4" inches for a 60" tub. Then the drywall and tile goes in. Sometimes they shim the walls so that the backing goes over the tub lip. I have never seen anything but a 60" tub except for a custom made Bathfitter installation "over" the wallboard and tile.
Thanks

Marty Miller

Reaction score
Sorry HJ. I should have been more specific in my post. I had gone to do an install of a tub and shower wall combo. I assumed that the existing one piece fiberglass unit would have to be 60" length. Little did I know that upon removing it I would be proven wrong. Stud to stud framing length was, to my surprise, only 57-1/2"! I had found the unicorn of the shower world!!! The home that housed this treasure would probably have been built in early to mid 70's era. I cannot imagine who the manufacturer was but I think it's safe to assume that they are no longer in business. I am reconfiguring the stud work to accommodate a proper 60" combo in hopes of reducing stress for future contractors. I never thought I would say it but 57" tub/shower units really do exist.o_O

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks