PEX elbow fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

STEVEN INFANTE

Reaction score
Has anyone ever encountered the following:

3/4" PEX heating lines with stainless pinch rings was installed for over a month working correctly.

Last night one elbow fitting end that was connected came off the fitting completely. They pinch ring was still on the PEX and properly crimped.

I have never seen a properly connected PEX crimp fitting separate.
Have anyone seen this?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are several many manufacturers of pipe and fittings, and imo, it is best to stick to all one brand. Some of the tools and clamps have go/no-go test fittings to confirm the proper adjustment of the tool.

Was the system pressure tested before it was put into operation?

STEVEN INFANTE

Reaction score
There are several many manufacturers of pipe and fittings, and imo, it is best to stick to all one brand. Some of the tools and clamps have go/no-go test fittings to confirm the proper adjustment of the tool.

Was the system pressure tested before it was put into operation?

Yes I pressure tested the system. In my years working with pex, I have seen split fittings, bad crimps, kinked pipe that breached, but never a good crimp on a fitting that popped off after the system was in use for a month.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
That would scare me a little bit....
I know that those Pex crimping tools can come out of calibration and not really
clamp down properly on the ring.... If that turns out to be the case I would be
worried about the rest of the system---

this is the reason I use only wirsbo aquapex...
I dont trust any of that crap

STEVEN INFANTE

Reaction score
That would scare me a little bit....
I know that those Pex crimping tools can come out of calibration and not really
clamp down properly on the ring.... If that turns out to be the case I would be
worried about the rest of the system---

this is the reason I use only wirsbo aquapex...
I dont trust any of that crap

I used barrier pex and the pinch rings from supplyhouse. I crimped them with a ryobi battery power tool. It has a built in gap test. This was for a apartment building where I took out a 1 mil btu steam and replaced with 6 IBC modulating/condensing units. In all the years I have been doing this, I can tell you I have seen a fair share of fails, but this was a first

Attachments

• 20181208_200609.jpg
    20181208_200609.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 73

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It might be good to clarify your description to make sure we understand what you mean "one elbow fitting end that was connected came off the fitting completely".

I am reading this to to mean that the fitting pushed out of the end of a section of tubing.

STEVEN INFANTE

Reaction score
_
The work you did looks good...
I guess those are condensing tankless systems of some kind...??
what brand are those anyway??

how much damage did this all cause when it blew loose??

Luckily where the fitting was there was a crawl space underneath so no real damage. Just no heat as the the LWCO tripped, of course only on one of the coldest days of the year....

They are IBC condensing/modulating with DHW. I like them because they use a full tube manifold in the heat transfer block as opposed to plate system so less chance of calcifying blockage and they only have 73 interal parts as opposed to triangle tube, navian, etc. which have many more

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks