A failed inspection? And bad smell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sherlock555

Reaction score
Hi, I had a new build of our addition consisting of 4pc bathroom and laundry room that was damaged from a weather event. We used our insurance provider's preferred vendor.( nightmare btw) we just got back into our home a week ago. Whenever we do laundry and/or shower, we gave a bad odor in those two rooms and in our finished basement. We are on cistern and septic holding tank. The traps aren't dry. A plumbing inspector came by AFTER we moved back in and said the stink pipe was too high and (it's the longest I've ever seen) wouldn't continue going any further.
So 2 questions.
1. How can we be back in our home if there's a fail in plumbing inspection and
2. What can be causing a sewage like stink?
The contracted company said it passed inspection too.

Sherlock555

Reaction score
The vent pipe is NOT "too high", (there is no such thing), but we cannot diagnose odor problems without being there.
Well the inspector said it was. But there's a window that's above the addition and maybe that's why they put it so high. It's a guess, but 4' high is that high for what reason??

Sherlock555

Reaction score
Why should I have to pay for a plumber when they've already been paid to do the job? How they've managed to be a preferred vendor is beyond me. The hot and cold water pipes are backwards...hot on the right and cold on the left. I can't afford to have an actual professional to fix all of their mistakes. They installed an exterior door and the weather stripping had puncture holes in it all the way around from the screws that were meant for the door. They've changed it and you can see daylight shining through the (LG) gap between the door and frame. I have photos that make me ask ..wth We're they thinking?

Sherlock555

Reaction score
20181231_123443.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Try asking your insurance agent to intervene/mediate.

Sherlock555

Reaction score
Try asking your insurance agent to intervene/mediate.
Trust me I have. They've closed my claim and prefer me to deal with the contractor but will relay my issues to them. They've also been payed. They had to rebuild a 9'x22' addition. It took them 8 months and although we just got back into our home a week ago, there's still "deficiencies" that need attention. If you knew even the tip of the iceberg, it would make your head spin with the contractor and insurance. I've had to escalate twice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well the inspector said it was. But there's a window that's above the addition and maybe that's why they put it so high. It's a guess, but 4' high is that high for what reason??
IF they wanted to comply with code literally, it would have to project HIGHER than the ridge of your roof, which could be more than 4'.

Sherlock555

Reaction score
Well I talked to the plumbing inspector who failed the inspection and he's coming tm. He also told me it failed building inspection. Also that the contractor lied to me about not knowing it failed!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Why should I have to pay for a plumber when they've already been paid to do the job? How they've managed to be a preferred vendor is beyond me. The hot and cold water pipes are backwards...hot on the right and cold on the left. I can't afford to have an actual professional to fix all of their mistakes. They installed an exterior door and the weather stripping had puncture holes in it all the way around from the screws that were meant for the door. They've changed it and you can see daylight shining through the (LG) gap between the door and frame. I have photos that make me ask ..wth We're they thinking?

The reason you should have to pay someone is because you are a grown up.... or
you can piss and moan about your issues to the whole world and you can complain to
your insurance company in the hopes that they will bail you out.... and post pictures here
of their shabby work... but that is not gonna change anything....

Sorry about your problems and damage to your home but once in a while
you have to get a second or third opinion as to what exactly is going on to throw back at that
insurance company.....

and normally you have to PAY SOMEONE a service call to get
action......

Sherlock555

Reaction score
you can piss and moan about your issues to the whole world and you can complain to
your insurance company in the hopes that they will bail you out.... and post pictures here

you have to get a second or third opinion as to what exactly is going on to throw back at that
insurance company.....

action......
Maybe you need to learn a few things. One being if you have someone else mess around with your work it voids the warranty of three years on any work the contractor or subs have done. It's their responsibility to fix the problems they created. It's failed the building and plumbing inspection and after talking to the plumbing inspector today he's coming tm to look into the stink in our house.

Sherlock555

Reaction score

insurance company.....

action......
Sometimes you need to persevere to get what you deserve. And I'll wait for inspectors to call the shots. You have no idea what they have put us through including my mother at age 85!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Maybe you need to learn a few things. One being if you have someone else mess around with your work it voids the warranty of three years on any work the contractor or subs have done. It's their responsibility to fix the problems they created. It's failed the building and plumbing inspection and after talking to the plumbing inspector today he's coming tm to look into the stink in our house.[/QUOTE

Maybe you need to realize that perhaps all these people are just " blowing smoke up your ass " and you need to PAY someone to simply come out and re-inspect the place that has not got a vested interest in the job.... Paying a plumber to come out and just inspect the plumbing that someone else has done is NOT going to void any warranty..... How does it void a warranty for someone to look over another persons workmanship?? You posted pics here on this site--does that somehow void your warranty?? duhhhhh??

LOOK....Go to Angies List and find an A++ rated honest plumber who is willing to come out for around 100 bucks. Pay the 100 bucks. Have the plumber look your place over from top to bottom and have him fill out a detailed report about what he has found wrong..... Then send this to the insurance company and threaten to sue them if they dont make things right, or better yet hire a lawyer and have them send the report and threat to sue them on his legal letterhead....

Sometimes you have to get "mad dog mean" to get results with insurance companies...... but you will still have to pay your henchmen to do your dirty work.........

Sherlock555

Reaction score
Actually the plumbing inspector was here today along with the preferred vendor's plumber. They have to fix what failed. And trust me when I say I'm the wrong person to puss down my back and tell me it's raining! I'm not stupid and know my options to get stuff done. Including for work I don't and shouldn't have to pay for. The plumbing inspector has my back. That I know. He said he'll make them pull it all out if it isn't to code. I have managers and senior managers calling me to make sure shit is getting done. The shower head that insurance originally claimed was too low because of the double shower head I bought had an extra long neck are now raising the pipe to accomadate it. Why you ask?? Because it was too low regardless of the shower head. If we have to vacate our home again during the plumbing fixes and all the other mistakes, we'll be heading back to the 5 bedroom 3 bath house on the lake with the best view 40 ft from waters edge while it's done. Although my home isn't that big and a half mile from the lake, we'd still rather be home.
There IS no option to allow a fail for plumbing. They HAVE to complete whatever work the inspector deems necessary so again, why would I pay?? I've fought for other things and got them. Insurance paid for 6 months of BETTER internet up front to the provider as required by them and we were going to be going home in 2 months. So we had 2 internet providers. We had 2 android boxes bought for us as well. Why you ask?? I'll tell you. Something you should remember as told to me from a neighbo6 who had worked for an insurance company. Which you're taught as part of training.
" The purpose of insurance is to provide you with what you were accustomed to prior to your loss".
The work WILL get done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks