Can I run this armored cable into a plastic junction box for a dishwasher?

Users who are viewing this thread

.Nolan.

Reaction score
I'm replacing the dishwasher in a 1960s house I just bought, and I don't really trust the electrical in this house.

The previous dishwasher power was supplied by the armored cable pictured (mc vs ac?). Previous dishwasher had a small metal junction box. New dishwasher has the pictured plastic junction box. I can't replace this armored cable without ripping out walls. The dishwasher has a proprietary plug that necessitates the use of this box...

So, is it safe to run this cable into this plastic box? I don't think the red wire was acting as a ground in previous installation, and I don't know where it terminates, so I don't really know how to ground this either.

I'll probably redo all the electrical in the kitchen within about 6 months, but I'd love to use a dishwasher before then. Thanks for any help!

Armored Cable.jpg
Dishwasher Junction box.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
That is AC cable so the sheath is the ground. The short aluminum "wire" is the bonding strap and can be cut off.

That cable needs to attach to a metal box. Where does it come out of the wall? Ideally you could mount a metal junction box in the sink cabinet next to the dish washer.

.Nolan.

Reaction score
Thank you! I ended up running the AC cable into a metal box, and then brought romex out and into the plastic box. Worked great.

That is AC cable so the sheath is the ground. The short aluminum "wire" is the bonding strap and can be cut off.

That cable needs to attach to a metal box. Where does it come out of the wall? Ideally you could mount a metal junction box in the sink cabinet next to the dish washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks