How deep to set a submersible pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Don H

Reaction score
Question: Should a submersible pump be set in the well casing or can it go deeper into the bore hole?
My well is 105 deep', the casing is 95' leaving 10' uncased at the bottom. I know the pump should be at least 5' off the bottom. Is there any advantage to setting the pump so it's in the casing?
I'm installing a new pump.
Well has 65' of standing water. Yield is 18 gpm.
I get no sediment in the filter with the pump at 5' off the bottom.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you put a flow inducer/shroud in place, water will cool the motor better, even if the water comes from above. The motor is at the bottom, and the water intake is in the middle of the pump assembly.

Don H

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Reach4 but I think you misunderstand my question.

Would it be best to have the pump setting in the well casing or below the end of the casing in the uncased bore?
Currently the pump sets 5' off the bottom and 5' below the end of the casing. I could easily raise the pump 5' so it is inside the casing. Just wondering if it makes a difference. There would still be over 50' of water over the pump either way.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Reach says adding a flow inducer will let you set the pump as deep as you want, and it will get proper cooling. Without a flow inducer shroud the pump needs to be set up in the casing, so that all the water comes to the pump from below. With a lot of water above the pump and set below the casing, the pump is being fed from the top. You can have 100' of cool water above the pump and still boil the water around the end of the motor if the pump is being from from above.

With a shroud I have no problem setting the pump 2' off bottom. Without a shroud, I would not set it below the casing.

Reach4

Reaction score
hanks for the reply Reach4 but I think you misunderstand my question.

Would it be best to have the pump setting in the well casing or below the end of the casing in the uncased bore?
I understood. If we restrict the choices to those two, in the well casing would be better.

Don H

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what a pump shroud is. The pump is a new Myer Predator Plus 12 gpm 1/2 hp, 240v

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what a pump shroud is. The pump is a new Myer Predator Plus 12 gpm 1/2 hp, 240v
Enter "flow inducer" or shroud into the search box above, and search this forum.

Don H

Reaction score
Found a picture of some pipe clamped around the pump. I'm guessing this directs water from below the motor up across the motor before entering the pump to aid in cooling. No I don't have that.

So the consensus is to raise the pump up 5' so it's in the casing?

I was more concerned about the torque arrestor not being in the casing.

Reach4

Reaction score
So the consensus is to raise the pump up 5' so it's in the casing?
No.

Consensus was for flow inducer if you have a 5 inch or bigger casing.

The raising the pump if you don't put in a flow inducer was #2.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as you have enough water, setting the pump above the end of the casing is best. Sometimes pumps get stuck and you can't get them out of the well when they are set below the casing.

Don H

Reaction score
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. Currently there's 57' of water over the pump. I plan on moving it only 4' up to get it into the casing. The well has 11' of uncased bore at the bottom.

With a PVC cased well is the first ( bottom) section perforated to allow water to enter?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. Currently there's 57' of water over the pump. I plan on moving it only 4' up to get it into the casing. The well has 11' of uncased bore at the bottom.

With a PVC cased well is the first ( bottom) section perforated to allow water to enter?

Yes and sometimes several of the first sections are perforated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As long as you have enough water, setting the pump above the end of the casing is best.
Also, if the casing is not perforated, setting the pump in the casing assures that there will be cooling flow past the motor without having to add a flow inducer.

Don H

Reaction score
I pulled the pump up 5 more feet so it is now in the lower end of the casing.
I have no way of knowing how much casing is perforated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks