Compression fitting removal tool?

Users who are viewing this thread

TexasDIY

Reaction score
I'm replacing a faucet on the bathroom vanity and I can't get the compression nut out.

Is there a tool I should be using?

The water is turned off at main because the shut-off valves are being replaced.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Most hardware stores have this style.

ferrule-blaster-1.jpg

And this one is very deluxe.

milwaukee-tubing-cutter.jpg

It's good to have these on hand too.

pasco-sleeve-puller-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

TexasDIY

Reaction score
Husband is on way to HD. Hoping they have one. (sure, start a project on New Year's Day they said...)

Thank you.

TexasDIY

Reaction score
the tool we have is a Husky handle sleeve puller that removes stubborn compression rings..not working!

any ideas?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've used a hacksaw blade to cut the sleeve BUT NOT THE PIPE.
Take your time doing so, you don't want to touch the pipe nipple with the blade.

TexasDIY

Reaction score
We got the little mofo! took two of us crammed into a tiny cabinet wondering why two smart people were having such difficulties.

we'll finish replacing valve, then do the faucet another day.

Thank y'all for your help!

TexasDIY

Reaction score
We are now on to the cut off valve: we have measured the pipe and have the correct size, yet when we go to tighten nut (with compression ring inserted. the valve slips right of the pipe. Nothing to hang on to.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you using a quality product with precise threads? On some poorly made products, the chrome flakes off the threads preventing it from being tightened as much as it should.

TexasDIY

Reaction score
We think the tool that pulled of the compression ring, made the pipe thinner at the point the new valve nut and ring attach.

No water tonight - calling plumber in the morning.

above our capabilities.

TexasDIY

Reaction score
Are you using a quality product with precise threads? On some poorly made products, the chrome flakes off the threads preventing it from being tightened as much as it should.
YEs, I think so. Where the old compression ring was, the pipe is indented about a 1/4" around. so it's thinner there.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
We think the tool that pulled of the compression ring, made the pipe thinner at the point the new valve nut and ring attach.
I think the ring cutter is a better tool and would not have distorted the pipe as the puller did.

From the picture it looks like there is enough pipe sticking out to be able to shorten it about 1/2" to get the new ring back behind the distortion. Worst case you could use a two-piece escutcheon to slip behind the finished install.

TexasDIY

Reaction score
Yeah...should have used a ring cutter.

Any suggestions on what to use to cut pipe?

TexasDIY

Reaction score
Ohmygosh - we threw a hail mary with the linked pipe cutter. Cut just past the deformity and held our breath when placing new valve.

It worked! We have water AND no need for a plumber.

My FIL just passed in November and he was the one who insisted on fixing all the plumbing, so that we could actually do this (even though it took all day), is like a sweet nod to him.

Thanks for all the help, guys! We appreciate ya!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks