Water Tub Spout to Shower Stops Working - No Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Philip Jones

Reaction score
Terry, this link shows the water tub spout I bought at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Universal-Replacement-Tub-Spout-Chrome/21009182

I have bought three water tub spouts. Each one stops working, so my shower head lacks
water coming out. The water spouts I bought do well for about two and a half months,
then they stop allowing water to flow through my shower. Is it because a seal or gasket
in the water tub spout gets bad? Thanks for your response.

Philip

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe a picture of what you're installing.
A good diverter tub spout should last years and years. Delta makes good tub spouts.

Philip Jones

Reaction score
Terry, this link shows the water tub spout I bought at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Universal-Replacement-Tub-Spout-Chrome/21009182

I have bought three water tub spouts. Each one stops working, so my shower head lacks
water coming out. The water spouts I bought do well for about two and a half months,
then they stop allowing water to flow through my shower. Is it because a seal or gasket
in the water tub spout gets bad? Thanks for your response.

Philip
Maybe a picture of what you're installing.
A good diverter tub spout should last years and years. Delta makes good tub spouts.

Terry, did you check out that link I gave you concerning the diverter tub spout I had purchased?

Philip Jones

Reaction score
There is no reason why that diverter spout should NOT work for years. What happens when they fail?
After about two and a half months less water flows out of the shower head while water comes out of the tub spout.
Eventually this last diverter stopped allowing any water to go through the shower head. The only way I could
get even a little water to come out of the shower head was to glue the diverter knob in a permanent position to allow
at least some water to come out of the shower head. Perhaps the valve in the tub spout goes bad.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Philip

Philip Jones

Reaction score
After about two and a half months less water flows out of the shower head while water comes out of the tub spout.
Eventually this last diverter stopped allowing any water to go through the shower head. The only way I could
get even a little water to come out of the shower head was to glue the diverter knob in a permanent position to allow
at least some water to come out of the shower head. Perhaps the valve in the tub spout goes bad.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Philip
Terry, do you think it could be that I don't have enough water pressure coming out of the water pipe to
the diverter tub spout?

Reach4

Reaction score
then they stop allowing water to flow through my shower
I (and the others) think you are saying that the water still comes out of the spout in high volume after you attempt to divert to the shower. If you mean something else, say so.

Philip Jones

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you have to stop buying your spouts at Walmart.
Reach 4, when I would divert the water to the shower head, the tub spout would have water coming out, but not at high volume. So,
does anyone have an answer to this problem? Is it bad seals, bad valves or what? I have nothing against Walmart. It is just that
this Peerless product has not worked for me. Anyway, have a great day guys.

Philip

Reach4

Reaction score
If you block the end of the spout with your hand, does water come out of the shower as it should? If so, the problem is the spout.

Philip Jones

Reaction score
If you block the end of the spout with your hand, does water come out of the shower as it should? If so, the problem is the spout.
If I block the spout with my hand and do not lift up the shower diverter knob, then
water comes out of the shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks