Bad Well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
Any help is appreciated. I do not know much about wells but here is my issue. I just had a new home built at the end of March in an established neighborhood and my house was one of the last lots. The well was dug and the driller told me at a later time that we had a great lot and that he hit the first time with a lot of water flow. The builder and the drilling company decided to go down to 510 ft. Now fast forward to a month after I moved in and I had silt and slight blackish sand going through one in house filter and coming out of the faucets. I called the well company to which I was told that the well was new and the pump needed to run to tighten up some sort of screen. So he told me to hook up a hose off the side of my house and crack it open and let it run for 3 days. As cautious as I was I listened and it did nothing. I was then told to hook a hose up to the pressure tank spigot and run the hose out of my house and let it run for an hour to "drain the sediment" out of the tank. I did this and it helped a bit but was still having issues. They agreed to come out and Rehab the well by blowing it out. Well the company didnt have enough hose and a strong enough compressor supposedly the men didnt realize how deep the well was so the blew it down to 350 ft. Things got better for a month but we added a 3 filter system because the sediment, iron, and sulfur smell was horrible. Everything worked for 2 months or so but the pressure had dropped a little. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago and my sedimets filter became black almost over 3 days and if a tub or shower was ran on the third floor there was barely any pressure coming out of any other faucet almost to a dribble. Well I called the plumber that did worked on my house while being built and he came out and saw that all of the aerators and cartridges were clogged with sediment but cleaned them and said to call the well company as there was a bigger issue. So last week the well company finally comes out and rehabs the well again but the full 510ft this time and said that clear water was coming out for an hour and it was a success. That night i replace my filthy in house filters and put fresh new white ones in to see how it went. 8 hrs later my wife wakes up and brown sand color water is coming out of all of the faucets. I went to the filters in the basement and sure enough that filter was completely brownish black. So the plumber comes back to possibly clear the aerators, cartridges and lines now that the well was "rehabbed". They do some tests and went down to the pressure tank in the basement and had another plumber on the third floor and ran the water. The pressure tank gauge dropped from 60psi to 38psi and kicked on but they said it took almost 2 minutes to rebuild pressure to 60. They said the pressure tank itself was fine and that it was definitely a well issue. It was at that time the the other plumber said he remembered my house from the construction phase and that they had issues originally with just a single filter and that it would only hold some pressure if they too the house filter completely out. He said that he assumed that the well company fixed the issue to get it through inspection. So the well company sends 2 foreman out thinking that possibly they needed to replace the pump due to pressure issues. The men walked towards my pressure tank and stopped at my 3 filter housing and said wow when were your filters lasr changed, i i said less than 24hrs ago, the foreman said ok we dont need to see anything else because we have a worse case scenario here. I said well what is it? He said well the well has been rehabbed once and that didnt work, i said no it has been rehabbed twice and he said thats ridiculous that is not supposed to happen but i cant make the executive decision here but unfortunately I think you need a new well. I said a new pump? He said no a new well, it could have been they drilled too far or not far enough but theres no telling. So at this point almost 8 months later I am livid. So he calls the owner and tells him what Is going on. I speak with the owner about the next steps and he tells me he will have to get crews out there to possibly drill a new well but that it may just need a even finer mesh installed. I said well the sediment is slightly better but its pressure issues at this point. The shower is so bad that with nothing else running, you can barely wash the shampoo out of your hair. He said well worse case they will need to start the lengthy process of getting you a new well.
These dudes have been playing games for 8 months and whatever needs to happen needs to happen. I am sorry for the long narrative but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Does anybody know if this sounds correct or if I have been getting screwed. I just cant believe this has been an issue from the beginning and I already need a new well drilled.

Any info would help.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Sounds like something definitely wrong with the well...and it's related to the construction or installation of well....do you have a completion report you can share with construction details? I would lean on the builder.....get him to pay for and handle getting a new well drilled. Also talk to neighbors see if anyone else has any problems. If you are in eastern MD with screened coastal plain well you should have zero sediment..maybe some iron / sulfur smell. And the wells in the neighborhood should be virtually identical unlike a rock well where next door houses may gave greatly varying drill depths and or water quality.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The builder is definitely taking care of it, I was just wondering if this all seemed like the well definitely needs replaced and a possible reason as to what happened? Unfortunately the builder didnt give me a copy of the report but I will have to call the health dept on monday to get it.

I live in southern MD and have very sandy soil.

Reach4

Reaction score
So he told me to hook up a hose off the side of my house and crack it open and let it run for 3 days. As cautious as I was I listened and it did nothing.
I would have thought he would have said something that unambiguously indicated full-open.

If you did have to deal with a lot of sediment long term, there are alternatives to filtering. There are centrifugal filters, such as sandmaster, if dealing with sand and there are backwashing filters that can handle some other sediment..

However the action they may take in the well could involve a full casing/liner, together with fine gravel.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
So Reach4 what do you think is the reason the pressure is horrible and by the time I get to the 3rd floor its almost non-existent?

Reach4

Reaction score
So Reach4 what do you think is the reason the pressure is horrible and by the time I get to the 3rd floor its almost non-existent?
I am not a pro. I suspect the pump is not the right pump for water as deep as yours. How big is your pressure tank? If it is 82 gallon tank, 2 minutes to get from 38 to 58 would not be so bad. If it is a 44 gallon pressure tank then the pump needs more oomph. If the pressure tank is 32 gallons, that is absurd. If the pressure rise is significantly quicker at 48 psi than at 58 psi, that would tend point to the pump selection.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
Yes it's 32 gallon tank and I just read on my builders sheet that it says standard well 3/4 hp pump with 9.9 gallon tank and 4.5in well casing?

Reach4

Reaction score
A 32 gallon tank would take about 1 minute to turn off if you are not using water, and the pump was delivering 8 gpm. So that would imply that your pump may be getting about 4 gpm to the tank.

Suppose you have a 3/4 HP 7 gpm pump. If your water was about 240 feet down, that could give you similar numbers to what you see. It is the distance to the water surface that counts, not the distance down to the pump.

4.5 probably means 4.5 od, which would be 4 inch ID. The 9.9??? Drawdown spec??? tho that is pretty optimistic for a 32 gallon tank.

index.php

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I'm sure you have a high static and the 3/4 is appropriate. The low pressure is either because the filters get instantly blinded from so much sediment or your pump is worn already from pumping sediment or your plumbing in general is full of sediment. If I had to guess you have a 4.5 x 2" telescoping well and it does not have artificial gravel pack. In those cases if the screen slot is wrong and/or the wrong part is the formation collapses and forms the natural gravel pack outside the screen you will have sediment issues. Glad to hear they are going to make it right for you. There is one other possibility and it happened to me once...I went back and airlifted on a well after it was installed and got the well to clear up fine but there was a pitless already installed so the waterline to the house was connected to the casing. The service line to the house filled with fine sand during the airlift process and it was a mess to get out....that was a hard lesson learned.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
Thank you so much for both of the in-depth replies. I guess we will see what the well company is going to do next week. The water is a little more clear tonight (we poured into a glass and let it sit all day) but the water pressure issue is still there (had the shower running and turned on the bath in the other bathroom and the shower cut off) .Hopefully they can try one of those easier fixes because if a whole new well is needed then that is going to suck for 2 weeks or more.

Reach4

Reaction score
The water is a little more clear tonight (we poured into a glass and let it sit all day)
What did you mean by that? The water was not clear in the glass until you let the glass sit all day, or the water started clear and stayed clear in the glass?

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
Since Friday it was Brownish or Blackish/Gray and then got to more clear but very cloudy. Yesterday we poured the water out of the faucet into a glass and it looked pretty clear from the time it came out until I posted that. Previoisly as it settled throughout the day you could see all of the sediment.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the casing go to the bottom, or is it only part way as is common in some areas with deep layers of rock?

A backwashing filter with Katalox Light media could maybe deal with most of the sediment, iron and H2S (sulfur). You might need injection of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) before the KL, and you may need a carbon tank after to remove residual H2O2.

Because the KL tank would be backwashed, the trapped sediment would be washed out. The tanks would be at least 10x54 inches, but may be bigger.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
I will have to look into that...my first concern is them figuring out the pressure issues and then determining if I will then need what you are referring to. Thank you.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
And I am not sure about the casing, I wasnt given any paperwork in the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 3/4HP is not going to pump much water, or from very deep. In all the above explanation, I do not see where you have tried to pump the well clean. Cracking a garden hose or running a faucet for an hour isn't going to get this well developed. Those two methods won't even displace the amount of water in the well. Blowing helps, but stirs things up again. I would use a larger pump, set down 300'-350', and just pump it until it cleans up or it doesn't. Sometimes you have to pump it hard for a long period of time, then shut it off and let it recover for a period of time, and repeat the process over and over until you get the well stabilized. If you don't use enough volume when pumping the well out, the velocity in the drop pipe is not fast enough to even bring the sand out of the well, The sand just settles back down as the flow isn't fast enough to force the sand straight up. I would use the existing pump and see how much volume and for how long it would run. This would help me decide if I needed another pump, how large it should be, and at what depth to set it.

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
Appreciate the response. Yea I am not sure, I did what the well company told me to do. They may have done other stuff while rehabbing the well, I just took away the layman's terms of blowing the well. I will ask them tomorrow if they are going to put a bigger well pump in. What ever they were doing when they were here twice, the were blowing water back up and out of the well for hours. Thanks

Bdfletcher84

Reaction score
VAwelldriller sorry for the wait I had to get a copy from the health dept but attached was the final report. I also found out it is definitely 520ft. My paperwork also said 3/4hp pump but looks like they wrote 1 on the form.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks