First World Third Bathroom Problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

flyguy

Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm new here, and have done some reading, but am now more confused than I was when I got here...

I have a newer home (2008) that was initially built with 2.5 baths. One full bath has a standard tub/shower plus toilet and vanity, the master bath has 2 standard shower heads plus toilet plus double vanity, and the half is a standard toilet plus vanity. Other fixtures are a few hose bibs, kitchen sink, and laundry tub + washer.

When we bought the home a couple of years back, we finished the basement (kitchen sink + tub/shower, vanity and toilet) as well as built a barn, which is also fed by a 2" well pipe off of the main branch of the house. The barn has a couple of hose bibs and will ultimately have a shower stall, toilet and vanity when I get it finished.

The well system consists of a 3/4hp submersible pump (well record shows depth is 181' with water starting at 100', test rate of 21gpm drew down 60 feet in 2 hours, and shows a sustainable yield of 16gpm). The pump runs into a 20 gallon pressure tank (switch appears to be set at 40/70), then into a hydrogen peroxide injection system, then into the softener, and on to the main line.

OK - now the problem. There just isn't enough water pressure to power all three showers in the house at once. If all three are going, water is to a trickle at the kitchen sink. When I bring the bath in the barn online, it will only be that much worse (that said, all four baths will probably never be used at the same time). I fully realize the system probably wasn't sized to accommodate all this - just not sure what to do about it. I have looked into constant pressure pump systems, cycle stop valves, and now am questioning if I need a larger pump. I am not afraid of plumbing/electrical work at all, and would prefer to do this right, even if it means spending some money. What I'm after is enough pressure to run three showers (remember 4 heads, as the master has two) plus a kitchen sink at once without noticing significant drop in pressure.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
You need a bigger pump...a 3/4 HP will at most deliver 8-10gpm at the drawdown you specify. If your pump test is right, I would put in a 1.5HP 15 gpm series pump, set at 160', and CSV; which will deliver about double what you have now.

flyguy

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I was afraid of that. I took the numbers directly off the well log from the well drilling company. Should I be able to trust those?

flyguy

Reaction score
You should also check your water treatment system to see if it will not be bottlenecking flow.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I look at specs for the heads on those units and they are above 15gpm, is that sufficient or is there an actual test I can do?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. If I look at specs for the heads on those units and they are above 15gpm, is that sufficient or is there an actual test I can do?

That is good. I see people tie in their softeners with flex pipe or use PEX that has a much smaller I.D., particularly in the fittings.

flyguy

Reaction score
That is good. I see people tie in their softeners with flex pipe or use PEX that has a much smaller I.D., particularly in the fittings.
Thank you. Makes sense. Everything is 3/4 pex, but not sure of ID of the fittings. I’ll look at that more closely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks