My jet pump has 3 lines. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryantrx450er

Reaction score
I have a jet pump in my basement that has 3 lines. 2 lines go to the pump and the third used to be tied into my drain line for my washer. I've been in the house for 3 years and I always assumed this third line was a vent of some sort. It's 1/2" plastic. The line had a valve and a check valve. Long story short the "vent" line had a drip so when positioning it to place a bucket under the drip I broke it and had a continual flow of water. Thinking the pipe just needed to be drained I let it run and got about 25 gallons out of it and it never stopped so I temporarily taped it closed, went and got a valve. I installed the valve and closed it. It seems like an artisan well or something. Has anyone ever seen this before?
uMREEbisRBKbn7MfVUZhXQ.jpg
PrtAYmUpQS2TxOenGDwq%w.jpg

Ryantrx450er

Reaction score
I also opened the valve when my pump kicked on and the water wasn't coming out and it seemed to be drawing air in and gurgling. When the pumped shut off the line gurgled for a few minutes and then water began flowing out again until I shut the valve off.

Ryantrx450er

Reaction score
IMG_6277.JPG

This is a picture I took 3 years ago when I replaced the well lines from the well into the house. Had a pin hole leak just outside the foundation wall and it was seeping inside. You can see the 1/2" line here.

Reach4

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like much pressure. Without a gauge, I'd have to say maybe 10 psi or less.
10 psi would be huge.

I was thinking that maybe you could run that line to a standpipe. But if you have more than 2 psi, that would probably not be practical.
A standpipe could admit air without having to resort to a vacuum breaker valve. So as it is, you probably should put a vacuum breaker on the line.

Bonus. You could get water into buckets, even if your electricity went out.

Ryantrx450er

Reaction score
10 psi would be huge.

I was thinking that maybe you could run that line to a standpipe. But if you have more than 2 psi, that would probably not be practical.
A standpipe could admit air without having to resort to a vacuum breaker valve. So as it is, you probably should put a vacuum breaker on the line.

Bonus. You could get water into buckets, even if your electricity went out.

I'll look into but I'm really trying to figure out why this line is even here. Any local plumbers i've talked to or research i've done online only comes up with 2 lines for a jet pump. I can't find any info or reason for this 3rd line.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the point is to replace air when the pump pumps out water. Maybe that is not important to your well. Did you follow the discussions on the link I posted?

Ryantrx450er

Reaction score
I think the point is to replace air when the pump pumps out water. Maybe that is not important to your well. Did you follow the discussions on the link I posted?

I'll read through it when I have a bit more time. It makes sense that the well would need to pull air in if it's sealed tight which I assume it is bc it's buried underground. I just can't see why mine is the only one like this that I've found so far.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am wondering if a vacuum would hurt much. I guess the pump would have to work against it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks