Well pump and control box size and match

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
The well pit for the barn well filled with water and shorted out several things. Pressure tank floated and broke a pipe or two. I replaced pressure switch, SquareD 40-60. Replaced Franklin pump control box with like unit, 1.5 hp two capacitor unit. Fixed one obvious leak. Pump still tripped reset on new control box. A little diagnosis leads me to pump is bad. Only 35000 ohms resistance from all three leads to ground and start winding only has a little over one ohm resistance so appears shorted. The sequence of events that lead up to this is not clear but what I need help with is this. First question, do the hp ratings on the pump and pump control have to match? I just spent $ on the new control box so would like to use it. I have had this pump out once before to repair a leak but don't remember the size, I'm assuming 1.5 hp because that is what control box was in it. It is set at about 60 feet. I use this well to fill stock tanks and general use, not irrigation. Second question is do I need 1.5 hp, would a 1 hp suffice? I'm not a pro so am using what I know and learning as I go.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Ideally you would extend the casing above ground, and put in a pitless adapter. No more well flooding worries. Steel gets extended with welding, and PVC with glue usually.
2. A 1/2 HP pump would probably be better. You could get a 2-wire pump (no control box) although a 3 wire pump is a little easier to power from a generator. A generator would have an easier time with a 1/2 HP 2-wire pump than any 1.5 HP pump.

With a pump at 60 feet, you could probably use a 10 gpm 1/2 HP pump. Those are about the cheapest submersible pumps.

index.php

To use a 1-1/2 inch pump set at 60 ft, you would be talking about a 30 gpm pump. That would not be so useful for stock watering, I think.

Converting a 1.5 HP control box to 0.5 hp would be more trouble than it is worth.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The control box needs to match the HP of the motor. However, a larger control box will work for smaller pumps just for testing purposes. A 1.5HP box will work with a 1/2, 3/4, 1, or a 1.5HP motor. Just has too large of capacitors to safely run the smaller pumps as a permanent install.

Reaction score
1. Ideally you would extend the casing above ground, and put in a pitless adapter. No more well flooding worries. Steel gets extended with welding, and PVC with glue usually.
2. A 1/2 HP pump would probably be better. You could get a 2-wire pump (no control box) although a 3 wire pump is a little easier to power from a generator. A generator would have an easier time with a 1/2 HP 2-wire pump than any 1.5 HP pump.

With a pump at 60 feet, you could probably use a 10 gpm 1/2 HP pump. Those are about the cheapest submersible pumps.

index.php

To use a 1-1/2 inch pump set at 60 ft, you would be talking about a 30 gpm pump. That would not be so useful for stock watering, I think.

Converting a 1.5 HP control box to 0.5 hp would be more trouble than it is worth.

Reaction score
Reach4, Thanks for reply. The well casing does extend above ground and use a pitless adapter. The pit I speak of is more of a vault that contains the switch gear and pressure tank, probably 5 foot across and 6 feet deep. We are in Colorado and weather is an issue. Did you mean to say a 1.5 hp instead of 1 1/2 inch pump would generate 30 gpm and that is too big for watering stock? What would be an appropriate flow for general outdoor use. This well always flowed a lot, it would run a garden hose at a good pressure.

Reaction score
The control box needs to match the HP of the motor. However, a larger control box will work for smaller pumps just for testing purposes. A 1.5HP box will work with a 1/2, 3/4, 1, or a 1.5HP motor. Just has too large of capacitors to safely run the smaller pumps as a permanent install.
Since box is new, relay reset switches, etc, could I swap out start and run relays to match a 3/4 or 1 hp pump. I priced just relays and they are cheaper than buying a whole new box.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks. Thoughts on hp and flow I should be looking for? Pump is set at 60 feet or so, I would like a good robust garden hose worth of flow.

10GS07 Goulds, or 10S07 Grundfos are my favs. But any 10 GPM 3/4HP will work. Cheapest would be the Hallmark 1HP, 33 GPM pump for about $150. Any of those will deliver a garden hose of water and a PK1A will make the pressure constant and stronger.

Reach4

Reaction score
We are in Colorado and weather is an issue. Did you mean to say a 1.5 hp instead of 1 1/2 inch pump would generate 30 gpm and that is too big for watering stock? What would be an appropriate flow for general outdoor use. This well always flowed a lot, it would run a garden hose at a good pressure.
I did mean 1.5 HP.

For home use, 7 to 10. The stock watering if automatic with float valves could take its time. If you are standing there with a hose, a 5/8 ID hose might be good for 6 or 7 gpm. A lot of home hoses are 1/2 inch ID and would put out less.

I figure that if your pump is set at 60 ft, the water is probably about 30 ft or 40ft. If you see that table above, you can see that a 1/2 hp 10 gpm pump can put out about 12 gallons at 40 psi. If the water level dropped to where you were about to run out of water, the flow would still be 10 or so. What counts during use is how far down the surface of the water is rather than how deep the pump is.

Reaction score
10GS07 Goulds, or 10S07 Grundfos are my favs. But any 10 GPM 3/4HP will work. Cheapest would be the Hallmark 1HP, 33 GPM pump for about $150. Any of those will deliver a garden hose of water and a PK1A will make the pressure constant and stronger.
Thanks for the help. The 80ish gallon pressure tank seems to have survived the ordeal. Franklin advised that the control box I have is listed for a 1 hp as well as 1.5 so I think I will use a 1 hp pump and avoid buying another new control box. They also were able to give me the part numbers and ratings on the start and run capacitors to put in this box if I wanted to use a 3/4 hp pump. In Denver is a company that can provide capacitors based on voltage and micro farads that would also work for "downrating" the control box to 3/4 hp. I can share that if you think it might ever come in handy. Any opinion on the Everbilt pumps available at HD?

Reaction score
I did mean 1.5 HP.

For home use, 7 to 10. The stock watering if automatic with float valves could take its time. If you are standing there with a hose, a 5/8 ID hose might be good for 6 or 7 gpm. A lot of home hoses are 1/2 inch ID and would put out less.

I figure that if your pump is set at 60 ft, the water is probably about 30 ft or 40ft. If you see that table above, you can see that a 1/2 hp 10 gpm pump can put out about 12 gallons at 40 psi. If the water level dropped to where you were about to run out of water, the flow would still be 10 or so. What counts during use is how far down the surface of the water is rather than how deep the pump is.
Thanks. Any opinion on Everbilt pumps that HD carries?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you get a 2-wire pump, you don't need a control box. Those are good for the 1/2 and 3/4 hp motors.

For higher electrical efficiency, you can use a 3-wire pump with a CSR (capacitor start run) control box. But once running, a two-wire pump is as efficient as a 3-wire pump with a regular control box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks