How to prime check valve suction side. (no foot valve)

Users who are viewing this thread

stormlight

Reaction score
Hello,

How does one prime a suction line/pump when using a check valve? Let's say you have a pump, a few feet before the suction line goes in the ground you have a check valve. Then you have 10 feet of the suction pipe that holds nothing but air until you hit water in the ground. How does the pump not die sucking that 10 foot of air when being turnt on the first time?

I was watching a youtube video and cam across this picture.

http://prntscr.com/lqe2st Is this needed and would it even work?

Or can you put a ball valve on the output side and close it. When the pump turns on and you see the pressure build you know that the water is coming up the pipe while the pump stays primped and then you you release the ball valve?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Prime the pump as best as you can, then let it run for a minute. If it doesn't pick up, repeat the process. Every time you start the pump the water will come up a little until it finally picks up and pumps as it should. Don't use a plastic or flapper type check valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
That picture looks more like there’s a submersible pump in the well.
I suspect that picture has a foot valve.

Without a foot valve, somebody could suck on the pipe with a vacuum cleaner, and then close the valve. That might suck 90 or so inches of water, depending on the vacuum, so whether that would be a useful head start, I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks