Do You Use Plumber's Putty or Silicone under the Escutcheon Deck Plate Rubber Gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a new Moen kitchen faucet. It is a single-handle faucet and I will be using an escutcheon deck plate to hide the left and right holes. The deck plate comes with a rubber gasket. The instructions simply say:
  • Place Deck Plate Gasket onto Deck Plate.
  • Firmly snap Deck Plate Gasket onto Deck Plate.
  • Place Deck Plate on mounting surface and install Faucet Body in hole on sink.
Do you use a rope of plumber's putty or a bead of silicone under the deck plate rubber gasket? Would that add additional protection for leaking under the sink, or is that a bad idea for some reason?

Thanks very much!
Carol

Cfipp

Reaction score
I referred to the gasket as a "rubber" gasket but I just got it out of its packaging and what a misnomer! That gasket is not rubber nor silicone - - it is just hard plastic with a very, very thin roll/gasket of a spongy neoprene-like material. Almost nothing there to prevent water from running right under the plate and down any of the three holes. (And not only that; you can in no way "firmly snap" the gasket onto the deck plate. It sort of sets into the deck plate grooves but it doesn't remain attached - it slides right off - and it sure doesn't "snap". )

Here are photos of the gasket and the thin rope of neoprene (or whatever it is):

IMG_6997.JPG

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

So would it be ok to also apply some silicone or plumber's putty under that gasket? My sink is a white enameled cast iron.

Thanks!
Carol

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Plumbers putty will eventually harden and it really wont help here. If you're worried use a little "clear" caulking. Apply a thin bead and after the faucet is tighten down wipe away the excess. You be surprise how much pressure does get applied to these gaskets to seal up. Anything too soft and they'l split apart. The edge of the faucet base is quite sharp. There are millions of these out there and you rarely see these leak any. Just remember that the water is laying there with no pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks