Recommendation on water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Jones

Reaction score
I am completely new to the water softener world and looking for recommendations.

I live in the Kansas City area if anyone is familiar with the water here....
I am on city water, no problem with any sediment in the water that I see, just hard water.
My home is approximately 2300 sqft
3 bathrooms, 1 with double sink, shower, and bath. 2 baths with single sink and shower/bath combination
4 people - 2 adults and 2 children.

I have spoken with someone at U.S Water about the Fleck 5600sxt and the Aquatrol 56se (the latter recommended) with the 20GPM rating.

I am also looking for recommendations on the correct home filter to use. I was told a 4.5x20 5 micron filter.

I want to be sure i am purchasing the right unit and if there are more reliable units out there, i would like recommendations since this is my first unit. I read on another site about Clack being something highly recommended as well. Either way, all recommendations to help me make the right decision are very welcome.

Also, i hope to be able to set this up myself if possible vs having to call a plumber but will if necessary.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Avoid the house brand stuff, original Fleck or Clack only. The newer valves are much better but are not available for online sales.

dbmet

Reaction score
I had the same questions. All the tanks on the websites look the same. Which websites are better to order from.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Most of the online companies are "questionable" but I will send you a pm. I don't like calling out companies in an open forum.

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
It will help to know the level of hardness in your water. A hardness titration test will assist in choosing the correct resin tank size and also needed to estimate the amount of salt needed per month.

4.5x20" Big blue whole house filters will work to remove chlorine, but they limit the flow rates available to you. For example your 20gpm flow from softener will be throttled down to 5 gpm. These cartridge type filters also need to be replaced every 3-6 months. A backwash filter filled with charcoal installed as a post filter downstream of the softener, is a better choice and will also last several years without needing maintenance.

ditttohead

Reaction score
We usually recommend placing the GAC backwashing systems ahead of the softeners. Carbon is an extremely durable, high capacity media that is cheap to replace. Resin is susceptible to chlorine damage so removing the chlorine ahead of the softener is the preferred method. Putting GAC after a softener is not common but some companies do it so as to mitigate the off taste that new resin can sometimes impart.

kurizma

Reaction score
Most of the online companies are "questionable" but I will send you a pm. I don't like calling out companies in an open forum.
hi ditttohead, can you send me recos on online sites as well? I'm looking to purchase a fleck and self intsall.
thanks

dooray8484

Reaction score
Hello ditttohead,
I am looking to purchase a fleck 58xx as well.
Could you please provide information where I can purchase it?

Regards,

Cobra1365

Reaction score
I'll tag on to this post as well.
It's just my wife and I in a 2000 sq ft home in Delaware with 3 bathrooms on a shallow well. I don't have the water numbers on hand right now.
I have an old Culligan system (I'm not at home right now, but think it's a 9000 series system?) about 25+ yrs old. It does not soften near as well as before and I'm looking to replace it.
I also have a newer Neutralizer tank I replaced a while back that has a Fleck control head. It is about 5 yrs old.
I see now that many of the newer systems (5600SXT, etc) are listing a resin tank as well as salt tank. Is this redundant if I already have the neutralizer or do I still need the two systems?
I see the 5600SXT systems listing for between $500 and $600. Is the 5800 system worth the extra...since you can't buy them online, I assume they have to be installed, thus adding installation costs).
Thanks

ditttohead

Reaction score
The ultra low cost systems you find online typically have a possibly real Fleck valve but there are many counterfeits out there, and the cheapest, lowest cost junk they can source from the lowest bidders, beware of the online resellers, especially the lower cost ones.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see now that many of the newer systems (5600SXT, etc) are listing a resin tank as well as salt tank. Is this redundant if I already have the neutralizer or do I still need the two systems?
Not redundant. Neutralizer tank adjusts pH (most raise the pH, and increase hardness as a side effect).

I see the 5600SXT systems listing for between $500 and $600. Is the 5800 system worth the extra...since you can't buy them online, I assume they have to be installed, thus adding installation costs).
I don't know. I bought the 5810SXT with a system and installed it. You can buy by phone or email, but the units are not advertised on line, or at least the prices are not online.

5810SXT fills the brine tank with softened water, which is good. It has a larger gpm capacity. On the other hand, it does not respond as well to power glitches. I have my 5800SXT softener on a UPS now. I plugged my 5600SXT iron+H2S filter into the UPS since it was there, but the 5600SXT never motivated a UPS.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Not redundant. Neutralizer tank adjusts pH (most raise the pH, and increase hardness as a side effect)
So, one pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small! ;)

I don't know. I bought the 5810SXT with a system and installed it. You can buy by phone or email, but the units are not advertised on line, or at least the prices are not online.
I'm at work and limited to what I can search. So, have not been able to find a dealer yet. Will look more when I get home.

5810SXT fills the brine tank with softened water, which is good. It has a larger gpm capacity. On the other hand, it does not respond as well to power glitches. I have my 5800SXT softener on a UPS now. I plugged my 5600SXT iron+H2S filter into the UPS since it was there, but the 5600SXT never motivated a UPS.
Not sure I really need a large capacity (higher GPM) since it's just the wife and I. What benefits other than GPM does the 5800 provide over the 5600?

I'll be getting a new water test too and will post results.

Thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
pH correction and water hardness are two unrelated issues which require their own individual remidies. While increasing pH to neutralize an acid condition will often increase the water's hardness level, softening does not generally affect pH.

The Fleck 5600 has been a highly utilized and capable control valve but it is an older design which has it's limitations including capabilities and features. The manufacterer's sales literature states the 5600 is recommended for a softener utilizing a 12" or smaller diameter tank, or a filter with a 10" maximum diameter tank, but there can be exceptions often depending on the media installed and backwash water temperature. The 5600 is best in homes with up to 3/4" plumbing whereas the 58xx series is appropriate for homes with larger service lines regardless of how many people reside there.

Both Clack and Fleck have changed their policies so their newer control valves are no longer sold online but are offered only through dealers who provide support and service for the products they sell. Discuss your requirements with water treatment dealers local to your area as you maybe able to obtain the equipment you need and possibly still complete the installation yourself if desired.

A comprehensive lab test is necessary so as to ensure the water is safe for consumption and also to provide a total picture of water conditions when considering appropriate treatment methods. National Labs is most recommended on this forum.
https://watercheck.com

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks