Plumber's Putty Oozing Around Kitchen Sink Strainer Body

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Troiano

Reaction score
We just bought a gut renovated apartment. In the kitchen sink, I noticed last night that plumber's putty is starting to ooze out around the circular strainer body. We've been living in the place for a week and half now and I can't recall if it's always been there and I just didn't notice it before OR if it's a new thing in the last few days. That said, there isn't any leak below the sink.

Is the presence of this putty okay as long as it isn't leaking below? Is the oozing putty a normal thing? I've uploaded a photo of my sink here. Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

Attachments

• IMG_4056.jpg
    IMG_4056.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,159

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not centered and too much putty.
You can slice off the excess putty with a flat blade and toss it. The putty will ooze for a bit, but I use less in the first place.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might see if the basket nut has loosened up as the putty got extruded.

Brian Troiano

Reaction score
Not centered and too much putty.
You can slice off the excess putty with a flat blade and toss it. The putty will ooze for a bit, but I use less in the first place.

Thanks very much, Terry. Slicing the excess off is exactly what I did this morning after I posted. I'm hoping a leak won't present itself eventually. So you're saying we may see more oozing putty until the excess putty that the installer used is gone? And yes on the piece not being centered. I can totally see that now.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if you could apply force to center the basket, and then tighten the nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks