Woodford model 12 washer replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Slim

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a Woodford model 12 outdoor faucet that is leaking. hoping it was just a washer fail I tried to remove the stem by removing the handle, packing nut, packing and packing washer.

The stem would not come out. it wasn't like it was just being stubborn, but like there was an obstruction.

Looking at the model 12 picture, it looks like there is a roll pin of some sort just past the packing washer.
they sell the replacement parts including the stem so there must be a way of removing the stem but dang if I can figure out how.

Anybody here remember working on this old thing and have any knowledge they would like to share?

Replacement at this time isn't an option.

Great forum and resource.

Thanks in advance
Slim

woodford-12-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theoretically, all the internal parts should come out with the stem. The Model 12 is pretty old, so there is a good chance the packing (p/n 30005) has been compressed over time to the point of almost being solid. Since you are getting all the replacement parts, I would try starting by picking apart the packing with some needle-nosed pliers. Once that is removed the rest of the stem assembly should be able to be removed.

Slim

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply,

as I stated. I removed the packing, packing nut and packing washer with no luck. the stem comes out only a fraction of an inch and then acts like something is hitting on the valve body.

In the pdf file at woodfords website I linked above. there appears to be a "roll pin" or something just past the packing washer in the valve body.

thanks again

K Brick

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply,

as I stated. I removed the packing, packing nut and packing washer with no luck. the stem comes out only a fraction of an inch and then acts like something is hitting on the valve body.

In the pdf file at woodfords website I linked above. there appears to be a "roll pin" or something just past the packing washer in the valve body.

thanks again

It is now 11-8-2018 I am having the exact same issue as described by "Slim". Slim if you are there anymore information. Anyone else? Thanks

Jeff Simono

Reaction score
It is now 11-8-2018 I am having the exact same issue as described by "Slim". Slim if you are there anymore information. Anyone else? Thanks
I just ordered repair parts for a model 12. Have not tried taking it apart yet but wondering if you or anyone else here figured this out?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have you tried calling the company? If you do, and get something that works, let us know.

SuperStr8

Reaction score
I just ordered repair parts for a model 12. Have not tried taking it apart yet but wondering if you or anyone else here figured this out?
The stem has a female threaded end where the rubber seat is, hidden all the way back where it connects to the water pipe in the building. I removed the knob and packing nut from the faucet, then grabbed the stem with tongue & groove pliers and unthreaded that rod stem where the thread connection is. As it unthreaded, it forced loose the packing and the whole thing pulled out very easily. Now I’m trying to find a replacement rod because I can’t get the gasket seal all the way out.
I’ll add pics of the end that has the female threads, where I can’t get it all disassembled for rebuilding.

98AD703F-E305-4F46-94FF-8F7D6596C6F6.jpeg
17506AA9-5E5A-414F-8AD6-0855D1A58413.jpeg

Richn

Reaction score
I saw your post and it looks like Complete repair kits can be purchased at Chicago Faucet Shoppe linked below. Just wanted to check with you, to remove the rod you just turned the rod end counter clockwise with a pair of pliers and it came out easily?

link

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks