CSV questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I am hooked up. It was a nasty project. I'm more sore than I've been in years. So, the CSV valve needed a bit of adjustment to maintain 50 psi with a faucet running. My pressure switch is set to turn the pump on at 40 and off at 60. My PK1A tank is set to 38 psi. Everything seems to be working as it should, I think. My question has to do with pump run time. When I turn a faucet on, the pressure gage slowly drops from 60 to 40, as it should. The pump comes on and the pressure rises to 50, all is good. When I turn my faucet off, it takes 43 seconds for the pressure to go from 50 to 60 and turn off. Is that good number? Also, if I turn a faucet on, wait for the pressure to drop to 40, the pump comes on and I simultaneously turn the faucet off, it takes 58 seconds for the pump to reach 60 and turn off. It that a good number? Thanks guys.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without knowing what size your pressure tank is, sounds like it’s dialed in pretty good. Very worst case is 58 second run time. Other wise is the amount of time you use water after the pump kicks back on, plus 43 seconds.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
ED15EF40-2968-466C-8E44-CF63F8D92D95.jpeg
Can I safely increase the pressure by 10 psi? Raise the tank to 48, raise the switch to 50-70 and increase the CSV to 60?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
With a jet pump, you usually want the air precharge to be about 4 psi below the cut-in pressure. Sometimes more.

You did not say what pump you got, but you want the pump to be able to hit the cut-off and have some margin.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a Gould’s J5SH pump. Not sure what you mean by having some margin.
The J5SH is the high pressure version, so it should have plenty of pressure margin to go 50/70. The J5S or J7S would not.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a jet pump, you usually want the air precharge to be about 4 psi below the cut-in pressure. Sometimes more.

You really don't need the tank air pressure any different with a jet pump than a submersible. If a jet pump is primed it will come on and pump water just as quickly as a submersible. If it has lost prime, the extra second or two from the lower tank air pressure isn't going to be enough for it to prime itself.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that we could agree that if you get a stutter in water pressure as the pump kicks on, drop the precharge a bit.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Ok. Can you explain the relationship between the tank precharge and the low setting (pump turn in) in the switch? Why do they say the tank needs to be 2 psi lower?

Reach4

Reaction score
When the pressure switch turns on, there is a small delay before the pump is delivering water. The pressure tank has to supply the water during that brief interval.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I see. Now that you say that, I can see the gage drop a few pounds when the switch clicks on. Happens very quickly.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see. Now that you say that, I can see the gage drop a few pounds when the switch clicks on. Happens very quickly.
It does no harm to have the pressure dip momentarily then. But dropping a psi or 2 in the precharge could reduce that.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
The instructions on my CSV say that for my tank (4.5 gal), and pressure switch (40-60), my CSV should be set to 50. Ok. I did that, but I’d like a bit more pressure. Is there any harm in setting it to 54 or so?

Reach4

Reaction score
No, as long as the pump can deliver enough pressure.

So typically would raise three things by the 4 pounds: air precharge in the pressure tank, CSV, and the big nut on the pressure switch. 3.5 turns on the pressure switch is about 10 lb, so start with 1.4 turns CW.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
So what’s the rule for the CSV? Should the pressure setting be midway between cut on & Off setting of switch?

Wondering

Reaction score
I think you would just adjust your CSV to 54-55 and leave the pressure switch as is and also your air charge will stay the same. You are wanting more pressure while using water, correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you would just adjust your CSV to 54-55 and leave the pressure switch as is and also your air charge will stay the same. You are wanting more pressure while using water, correct?
That would lengthen the time for the pump to cut on, and would shorten the run time after water use stops.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That would lengthen the time for the pump to cut on, and would shorten the run time after water use stops.

Yep like Reach says, turn up the pressure switch and adjust the air in the tank accordingly, so you will get a little more run time. You don't want the pump to shut off for 30 seconds to a minute after you close all the faucets. Turn the pressure switch up to 50/70, set the CSV at 60 while running 3 GPM, and make sure there is 45 PSI air in the tank. You can have as much pressure as you want, as long as you have a large enough pump to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks