Code Review drawings/plans

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
Long time reader, first post on this forum. We are doing a remodel and would like advice on reviewing our intended plumbing remodel plans. There are two full bathrooms, a kitchen, and utility/wash room. Living in Wisconsin I have been reviewing our code (SPS 382, 384, and 145) and would like to make sure our plan is close as possible to meeting code requirements, before starting anything. Are there options online to have a consultant review the drawings for code compliance, or is anyone aware of local WI consultants that could review a plumbing plan? The drawings are nearly complete, but not sure where to go next with them.

Thank you,
Rodney

Dohc

Reaction score
See attached draft copy of the plumbing riser. Note , we are going to be living here while we renovate and can only work on one existing bathroom at a time. The first floor will stay as is, while we move/update the second floor. So some of the plumbing accounts for minimizing an entire system downtime. Much of the first floor plumbing matches the existing conditions and will remain as is. We would appreciate any comments or feedback. Thank you

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 309

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or other professional. I could be wrong in some of my comments, and I may not have caught stuff. I marked up a snip of your sketch from the PDF. This copy is not nearly as clear as your drawing, but I did it to add red letters to make it easier to refer to places in your drawing.
1. I am thinking that every instance that you indicated 1-1/4 will need to be increased to at least 1-1/2. I may be mistaken.
2. A, B, F, H, K trap arms need vents. While you may think that H and K are vented by the stack, I was thinking that stack cannot be used to vent those because it is carrying drainage previously. However looking in https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/co...ngs_and_environment/380_387/382/III/31/13/b/3 section 17 A I may be wrong on this. I am not sure if that applies.

3. If you increase the pipe size at D and E, you may be able to eliminate vent C. I am not sure.

4. I think L is totally a cleanout. Right? You figure to rod straight down from there?

5. Area G is not clear to me. You have two paths going on, but I cannot follow what path is what. Is G carrying only toilet #2?
img_2.png

Last edited:

Dohc

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback!

Attached is a revised drawing with updates. The lower (1st floor) bathroom is existing, and will stay that way, until the upper bathroom is finished. The drawing tries to show the existing conditions, but maybe not 100%. All existing pipe is grey only. New/Remodel pipe and fittings have a green outline. Note my drawing now incorporate your reference letters.

1. I thought it was possible to have a 1-1/4 vent for sinks and tubs that have a 1-1/2 trap?
2. H is existing, and K would be added. I will have to work on a vent for K. Note, the previous plumber had placed an air admittance valve near that area (now shown). I added two vents for traps A and B. Not sure I can use a 1-1/4 vent for the 2 inch tub drain trap "A". Either I would switch to 1-1/2 drain, OR find another way to vent.
3. I would like to consolidate/remove some of the vent pipes if possible, was not sure with the second floor toilet if that was possible, and wanting to keep to just 1-1/4 vent for the sink.
4. Yes L (cleanout 2) is just a cleanout. It was a good location for one, but if it is not desirable I can remove it.
5. G was a little off in the previous drawing, as I did not detail the existing plumbing. Note the vent I show in this revised drawing on the first floor bathroom sink does not exist in the existing plumbing, I would plan to add that once the 1st floor bathroom is remodeled, if needed.

Thank you
Plumbing Riser 20181101ii.png

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser 20181101ii.pdf
    186.9 KB · Views: 258

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1 1/4" for ANYTHING is a poor idea, even if you can find DWV fittings for it. Vent C is strictly cosmetic and has absolutely no purpose. The laundry sink and WM should have vents, NOT AAV's. You DO realize, I hope, that NOTHING we advise means a "hill of beans" until the plans are submitted to your building department and THEY decide what you can, or cannot, do.

winesalot

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback!

Attached is a revised drawing with updates. The lower (1st floor) bathroom is existing, and will stay that way, until the upper bathroom is finished. The drawing tries to show the existing conditions, but maybe not 100%. All existing pipe is grey only. New/Remodel pipe and fittings have a green outline. Note my drawing now incorporate your reference letters.

1. I thought it was possible to have a 1-1/4 vent for sinks and tubs that have a 1-1/2 trap?
2. H is existing, and K would be added. I will have to work on a vent for K. Note, the previous plumber had placed an air admittance valve near that area (now shown). I added two vents for traps A and B. Not sure I can use a 1-1/4 vent for the 2 inch tub drain trap "A". Either I would switch to 1-1/2 drain, OR find another way to vent.
3. I would like to consolidate/remove some of the vent pipes if possible, was not sure with the second floor toilet if that was possible, and wanting to keep to just 1-1/4 vent for the sink.
4. Yes L (cleanout 2) is just a cleanout. It was a good location for one, but if it is not desirable I can remove it.
5. G was a little off in the previous drawing, as I did not detail the existing plumbing. Note the vent I show in this revised drawing on the first floor bathroom sink does not exist in the existing plumbing, I would plan to add that once the 1st floor bathroom is remodeled, if needed.

Thank you
View attachment 49631

What software did you use to draw this?

Dohc

Reaction score
  • I switched the 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" or 2".
  • Removed Vent C.
  • When we add in the WM we will vent it, drawing now shows vent which needs to still be connected at top. The AAV was installed by a previous plumber, when the previous home owner remodeled the first floor bathroom. They actually installed two (2) AAV in the same area, but I am having troubles adding that to the drawings tonight.
  • Completely understood about the advise here. Have already talked to the inspector, and worked with him on a different project. I had no issues working with him on the other smaller project, but would like to have the best understanding of this larger project before taking anything to him.
  • Autodesk Revit
Are traps A and B properly vented now?

Drawings updated...

Plumbing Riser 20181102.png

Thank you

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser 20181102.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 249

Dohc

Reaction score
We are looking for suggestions to connect the new WM now in the basement and Kitchen sink into the existing system. I attempted to document the existing conditions as best I could. The existing 2nd story, is being entirely demoed, as can be seen by comparing the two drawings. Thanks to all of the suggestions here, I think the venting and traps are close now on the new 2nd story remodel part. The existing area with the two AAV in the basement I understand is not ideal, but it is existing. Traps M (Kitchen sink) and K (Basement WM) are the connections we are looking for suggestions. Thank you
Plumbing Riser 20181109 Complete.png Plumbing Riser 20181109 Existing.png

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser 20181109 Complete.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Plumbing Riser 20181109 Existing.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 227
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks