Well water bad taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Fred B

Reaction score
A week ago I had my well pump replaced. The original lasted 40 years. I've lived in the house for 38 years and never had a problem with bad tasting water. The old pump didn't have a torque arrestor so one was added. The taste and smell reminds me of plastic, but could be rubber. The torque arrestor is made of rubber. Could this be what I am tasting? And how long should this last before clearing up? I have a whole house filter, 10 micron polypropylene wound cartridge.

Fred B

Reaction score
The well guy poured bleach in the well and we ran the water for quite some time after the new pump was installed to clear out everything. Replaced the filter twice in first few days.

Reach4

Reaction score
The well guy poured bleach in the well and we ran the water for quite some time after the new pump was installed to clear out everything. Replaced the filter twice in first few days.
Normally, when starting, you are passing water through the outside faucets rather than the filter. This is not to say that the filter couldn't have been maintaining the taste that you did pass through it.

I think you should run the water longer and incorporate some recirculation.

As VAWellDriller recently pointed out... when trying to be rid of a contaminant above the pump and you have a bottom-feeding well (most common) , you need to circulate water into the casing as well as dumping water. Maybe run two hoses simultaneously. One dumps water, and the other recirculates into the casing.

Fred B

Reaction score
Did you replace the tank? A bad bladder tank can make the water taste terrible.
No I didn't. The tank is also 40 years old. But the bad taste came right after replacing the pump. I'm still wondering about the torque arrestor that was added.
I spoke to the well guy yesterday and he said he had another customer just say they have the same problem with a plastic or rubber taste to their water. He's looking into it with his supplier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks