Replacing floor and rear outlet floor mount toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris1

Reaction score
I'm currently working on renovating my condo and plan to install LVP (about 5mm thick) over my linoleum floors. I think I've decided on the Gerber Maxwell ADA height since it's not pressure assisted and has decent reviews. My HOA said the new floors need to be the same thickness as the old floors so the outlet will line up to the wall. However, I saw in another unit that someone install tile and replaced the toilet.

My question - does this 5mm height increase create an issue for installing the rear outlet, floor mounted toilet?

Thanks for your time!
Chris

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
5 MM isn't very much. I don't see an issue with that. The back of the bowl does have the holes for the closet bolts, but there is some leeway there. You have a 2" outlet going into a 3" drain.

gerber-mx-21-022-spec-1.jpg

Last edited:

Chris1

Reaction score
5 MM isn't very much. I don't see an issue with that. The back of the bowl does have the holes for the closet bolts, but there is some leeway there. You have a 2" outlet going into a 3" drain.
Thanks, Terry! It's only about 1/4" so it's reassuring to hear you don't have concerns about the new flooring / toilet combination.

Enrique Salvador

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing floor tile in my basement bathroom. We moved to this house (built in 1950) a couple of years ago so I don't have a lot of information on previous renovations. I estimate the basement bathroom was built between 15 and 20 years ago. I removed an old american standard rear outlet gravity toilet and noted that a bit of water was coming out of the wall drain. I have it plugged now with a 3" plug to stop the water. I opened the wall on the other side of the bathroom to see the drain (fortunately I only needed to remove a panel - see attached picture). As you can see, the toilet is very close to the main drain of the house.

I would appreciate help with the following questions:

1 - Does the installation shown in the picture is done correctly? The pipes drain and vent a vanity and the rear outlet toilet I mentioned earlier.
2 - We heard the old toilet "flushing" by itself several times a day. I was thinking that replacing the flush valve and reinstall the old toilet, but now I am wondering if the self flushing has to do with water getting in the toilet from the drain line.
3 - Similar to the question that started this thread, I measured the distance between the concrete floor (I removed the old ceramic tile) and the center of the drain and it is exactly 4". The tile that I am installing now is slightly thicker than the old tile I removed. I estimate that when the floor is installed the distance from finished floor to the center of the wall drain will be about 3.5". Will the rear outlet toilet still work?
4 - Do you recommend replacing the old gravity rear outlet toilet with a new pressure assisted AS Yorkville or the Kohler rear outlet?

Thanks in advance

IMG_4358.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks