Chlorination system or UV radiation

Users who are viewing this thread

Clstout

Reaction score
New to this forum, so if this is the incorrect forum, I apologize. I recently moved into this home, to find out that the previous owner never received a permit from the health department to operate the well. I have found signs of bacteria and petroleum in the water. Needless to say we have not been able to use the water in the house. I have been buying bottled water since we moved in. The realtor didn't disclose the issue, either. Besides legal action (which I am strongly considering) what would be a fix to this problem? I have had a contractor give an estimate for a chlorination system with a softener and a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. I also received a call from a water well assessor who recommended a UV system. Which would you all think was the best bet?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Neither will help petroleum. Are you sure about that? Is that from a natural source? I know that some of the first oil fields were in Ohio.

For bacteria in a deep well, often the sample is contaminated during taking the sample. Also, sanitizing the well and plumbing can usually get rid of the coliform bacteria. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up.

For the petroleum, I don't think I would drink that. I wonder if activated carbon would remove that. If it would, you could feed chlorine in first. The carbon would then remove the chlorine.

I still think you may not need UV or chlorine for bacteria. Chlorine can also help with iron and sulfur smell, and more. I am not a pro.

Clstout

Reaction score
Neither will help petroleum. Are you sure about that? Is that from a natural source? I know that some of the first oil fields were in Ohio.

For bacteria in a deep well, often the sample is contaminated during taking the sample. Also, sanitizing the well and plumbing can usually get rid of the coliform bacteria. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up.

For the petroleum, I don't think I would drink that. I wonder if activated carbon would remove that. If it would, you could feed chlorine in first. The carbon would then remove the chlorine.

I still think you may not need UV or chlorine for bacteria. Chlorine can also help with iron and sulfur smell, and more. I am not a pro.

The oil is in fact from a natural source. Lots of oil drilling caused this issue for many in this area. I am trying to find the best way to address the situation. Please keep the replies coming.

Clstout

Reaction score
Thanks. I am trying to get the proper system for my home ,since I will be putting a lot of money in it. I don't know the contractor that came to the house, and I don't want to buy something that isn't going to address the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks