Goulds J5S squealing

Users who are viewing this thread

dougq

Reaction score
Hi: I have had this pump on my workbench for a couple of years and wish to make it operational.
It would squeal after running for a while. I started to take it apart thinking the bearings needed replacing.
I noted the impeller has been rubbing on the guide vane, which is distorted. Is it possible that is the squealing?
I could run it on the bench, but I am not sure that would produce accurate results.
When I spin the motor shaft by hand I can not tell if the bearings are shot, I am used to hearing a rumble from
automotive bearings if they are bad.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
DougQ

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A bad bearing is what lets the impeller drag the hub. Remove the impeller and run the motor to see if the bearings make any noise. But bearings are nearly always the problem as they are not grease-able and only have so many hours of life.

dougq

Reaction score
A bad bearing is what lets the impeller drag the hub. Remove the impeller and run the motor to see if the bearings make any noise. But bearings are nearly always the problem as they are not grease-able and only have so many hours of life.
valveman, you were quite right, I could hear a bit of a scraping sound when I ran the motor. I took it apart and sure enough the pump side bearing is shot, I will of course replace both. I have a local supplier for the bearings, but I am not sure the best site online to order the pump seals, any recommendations? The impeller looks ok to me, can I re-use it?
Thanks
DougQ

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What brand and model number pump? I usually get seals from the same local supplier as the bearings? Yes the impeller will probably still be good. See if there is any damage to the eye or hub of the impeller. If not, it will still work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks