Cycle sensor to detect burst pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Is a cycle sensor good for shutting down a pump if a supply lines bursts, or is it more for detecting dry well conditions?

This would be for a cottage that is occupied only on weekends. I'm trying to find the best (and cheapest) way to shut down my pump if there ever was a high-volume leak. The source is a lake so it's not likely to run dry. I could put the pump on a manual switch but that would require the occupants (spouse, kids, other family) to remember to switch off when they leave.

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
No.

There are devices that can kill power to the pump if a sensor on the floor detects water. There are devices that can block a pipe if the water flows for more than half hour in a row (other time selections possible). It would be possible to put the pump supply on a timer that would need to be turned back on after an amount of time.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Yeah, you posted about one of those inline shutoff valves in another post. They're all >$1500. Just thinking out loud but I wonder if there's such a thing as a power limiter, something similar to a kill-a-watt monitor but with the ability to power off if consumption exceeds a preset limit.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
There are devices used in the irrigation field that you might be able to adapt. There are controls that sense flow and you can program it to close a valve if you have an over flow condition. This can all be controlled from your phone

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah, you posted about one of those inline shutoff valves in another post. They're all >$1500. Just thinking out loud but I wonder if there's such a thing as a power limiter, something similar to a kill-a-watt monitor but with the ability to power off if consumption exceeds a preset limit.

It is funny that you ask this question. No the Cycle Sensor won't help with a leak, only a dry well or a rapid cycle condition. But I am working on something that will do just what you are asking for. I have three prototypes working on my stuff. Love them so far. Gonna be in the $300 range. Call me during business hours if you want to be a Guinea Pig. :)

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
It is funny that you ask this question. No the Cycle Sensor won't help with a leak, only a dry well or a rapid cycle condition. But I am working on something that will do just what you are asking for. I have three prototypes working on my stuff. Love them so far. Gonna be in the $300 range. Call me during business hours if you want to be a Guinea Pig. :)

Wouldn't mind being a guinea pig but this is a seasonal cottage and is about to be closed for the season. I'll check in again next May. I'll monitor your web site to see if you have it in production. Thanks!

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Google "Tec Innovators - Leak defender"...it uses water sensors, you can have multiple sensors in various locations throughout your house. It's a very simple system, which seems to be reasonably priced. I have one on my water system and geo heatpump in my own basement, and recommend them to my customers who have pressure tanks inside their homes.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...und/Intermatic/FF412H/product.aspx?zpid=29468 is a spring-wound 12 hour 240 volt double pole switch. You would have to crank it on every 12 hours to get water.

Thanks. I considered something similar - even just a regular switch - but if the pump is off and people use water until the pressure tank is completely empty, my jet pump sometimes loses prime. So I'd prefer a system that leaves the pump on until there is an issue.

I'm anxious to see how valveman's system will work. Seems to me that a power limiter could be an elegant solution though - unless the pump is used in an irrigation system and used for long periods.

JRC3

Reaction score
I have Samsung Smartthings doing home monitoring, lighting, etc. I just put three water sensors on the system and will eventually add one of these https://smartenit.com/product/zbmlc30/ to my well. I want it to monitor the well as well as shut the well off if a leak is detected. It's been a while but I could swear it monitors amp draw too, that could be advantageous.

With Smartthings I can set it to receive push notifications and/or texts if a water leak is detected, and also to shut the controller off killing power to the well. I should also be able to tell it to send notifications if the well runs for a certain amount of time non-stop (i.e. 1 hour, 2 hours...). With Smartthing you can set the times of day it's allowed to run, or set it to run only if it detects someone's presents (their specific cell phone). Smartthings contact and motion sensors read temperature every degree it changes, so you could kill the well if a specific low freeze temp is sensed. Through the app you can turn power off or on from anywhere.

You must have internet.

Couldn't dry well conditions be protected with a well saver pressure switch?

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
These two devices appear to be exactly what I am looking for. I'll look into it further. Thanks for the links.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'm gonna let you guys in on a secret...There is a seller with some used Smartenit controllers on ebay for $50. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smartenit-...on-Metering-Dual-Load-Controller/132197818500 I'm thinking real hard about trying one.

You will also need one of their Gateways at about $150.00. Then you will need to use their leak sensors as well. Also a device driver will be needed to make it read and work with the amps/watts, but I don't think they charge for that. Let us know how it works?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks