Restrictions on Natural Gas refrigerators in MA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Fusco

Reaction score
Are there any issues with natural gas refrigerators being installed in residences with natural gas?

I have heard that there might be code restrictions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Bill

Bill Fusco

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dana. I had been told that these refrigerators might only comply with propane hookups but not natural gas - not sure why that would be. Do you believe that either gas type should be fine for compliant refrigerators on this list? Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the appliance is on the list, it generally lists specific models...if it specifies propane, NG probably won't apply. But, many of them can be converted from one to the other. The final arbiter is the inspector and the list. If it's on the list and it is installed properly, it should pass.

Not up on the relative efficiency of one verses say a typical compressor, but that might be a consideration, assuming power is available.

Bill Fusco

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
The approved list is not specific enough to LP vs NG so far as I can see - Good news is that Diamond has an NG model made ready at factory so no need for conversion, which is where the problem seems to occur. Wonder how I can nail an answer that its the NG model specifically that is approved.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
The approved list is not specific enough to LP vs NG so far as I can see - Good news is that Diamond has an NG model made ready at factory so no need for conversion, which is where the problem seems to occur. Wonder how I can nail an answer that its the NG model specifically that is approved.

If the pre-approved Accepted Plumbing Products list doesn't make the distinction between NG & LP, from a code point of view there is none. The installation just needs to be done per the manufacturer's instructions. Calling the manufacturer would be a good place to start if you need confirmation.

Doing any type of residential plumbing in MA technically requires a plumbing license (even swapping a mixer cartridge in a shower), though it's often done and nobody cares when it's simple repairs only involving water. But for anything involving gas plumbing they take it more seriously, requiring a gasfitters license. It would be prudent to hire a licensed bonded pro. As a DIY should anything dangerous happen during or subsequent to the installation (even 10 years after you've moved out), you would potentially be on the hook.

Bill Fusco

Reaction score
Great advice - I will call the mfr to see what the hookup is like. And I will definitely hire a pro.
thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks