Rx for Kitchen Pull Down Faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

BubbaCarolina

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. I’m thinking about replacing a Mico Designs Ltd faucet that just started leaking at handle. A new ceramic cartridge costs $75 plus shipping and handling. I’m considering replacing it with a new faucet since my wife doesn’t like the looks of it. I’d like a new drop down kitchen faucet that uses a brass encased ceramic cartridge.

I’m don’t know which brand makes a good quality product, and has reasonably priced cartridges that can be replaced easily.

Are the nylon encased ceramic cartridges as good as the brass encased ceramic cartridges?

Is touch or touchless technology worth it?

Any advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
As far as the pull down faucets there are a few things to be aware of. Regardless, I do prefer the pull down type faucets.
  1. The weight that attaches to the hose is never heavy enough to pull the hose up all the way. After replacing one pull down for another I put two weights on the new faucet. It worked great. The pull down does not mean auto up.
  2. The pull down hose and weight usually hits the plumbing parts under the sink preventing the hose head from fully retracting. A little rework under the sink maybe needed.
  3. Depending on how a person uses the pull down, after a while the hose can get twisted. As you use the faucet the spout may start moving. You’ll just need to untwist it.
  4. Do get one with the magnet in the spray head. It’ll allows the head to snap back into place.
  5. The touchless is nice. My son has it in his house but since I’m not used to it I’m always grabbing the valve handle. For the touch-less to work the valve handle remains open. It also uses batteries or you can purchase a power pack for it.
  6. As far as brands for the home stick with the brands at the retailers and check the price of the replacement cartridges. Keep away from the store brand units that Lowe’s and HD carry. In a fix you usually will find the the cartridge available at Lowe’s or HD. After going through a bathroom remodeling I’m liking the Delta brand but the faucets the bath designer chose were not in the stores but on line or at plumbing suppliers, however, the cartridges are usually the same across the line.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. I’m thinking about replacing a Mico Designs Ltd faucet that just started leaking at handle. A new ceramic cartridge costs $75 plus shipping and handling. I’m considering replacing it with a new faucet since my wife doesn’t like the looks of it. I’d like a new drop down kitchen faucet that uses a brass encased ceramic cartridge.

I’m don’t know which brand makes a good quality product, and has reasonably priced cartridges that can be replaced easily.

Are the nylon encased ceramic cartridges as good as the brass encased ceramic cartridges?

Is touch or touchless technology worth it?

Any advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Go to a few showrooms and find a faucet that you really love. Buy a name brand that has a lifetime warranty. I personally like the touch faucets. But please read the directions. I've had several service calls (to change the batteries).

BubbaCarolina

Reaction score
As far as the pull down faucets there are a few things to be aware of. Regardless, I do prefer the pull down type faucets.
  1. The weight that attaches to the hose is never heavy enough to pull the hose up all the way. After replacing one pull down for another I put two weights on the new faucet. It worked great. The pull down does not mean auto up.
  2. The pull down hose and weight usually hits the plumbing parts under the sink preventing the hose head from fully retracting. A little rework under the sink maybe needed.
  3. Depending on how a person uses the pull down, after a while the hose can get twisted. As you use the faucet the spout may start moving. You’ll just need to untwist it.
  4. Do get one with the magnet in the spray head. It’ll allows the head to snap back into place.
  5. The touchless is nice. My son has it in his house but since I’m not used to it I’m always grabbing the valve handle. For the touch-less to work the valve handle remains open. It also uses batteries or you can purchase a power pack for it.
  6. As far as brands for the home stick with the brands at the retailers and check the price of the replacement cartridges. Keep away from the store brand units that Lowe’s and HD carry. In a fix you usually will find the the cartridge available at Lowe’s or HD. After going through a bathroom remodeling I’m liking the Delta brand but the faucets the bath designer chose were not in the stores but on line or at plumbing suppliers, however, the cartridges are usually the same across the line.
Thank you for your feedback. The magnet spray head makes sense. Delta claims that the same model found at Lowe's is the same exact product as other authorized dealers. I don't know what to make of that info.

Some of Delta's Drop Down Kitchen Faucets only have a 5 year warranty, example the cassidy; which uses the "diamond" valve
RP73000. I've heard that Delta has made numerous changes to the cartridges. Is this faucet cartridge any good? Kohler uses the
1255™ Duralast™ cartridge in it's Arbor line; which is a nylon encased ceramic disc cartridge (?). The one know I heard is that the cartridge leaks after a short amount of time, and that the faucet head uses an inexpensive hose(?).

I also like the idea of lifetime warranty for the original owner. Are some manufacturers easier to deal with?

BubbaCarolina

Reaction score
Go to a few showrooms and find a faucet that you really love. Buy a name brand that has a lifetime warranty. I personally like the touch faucets. But please read the directions. I've had several service calls (to change the batteries).

LOL, yeah, I'm willing to buy the optional power supply :) Do you have a preference between Delta vs. Kohler vs. Moen? It was a bear trying to find the ceramic faucet cartridge for the Mico Designs Ltd. faucet.

Themp

Reaction score
I have had this kitchen faucet from Lowes at least 6 years:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta-Savi...ll-down-ShieldSpray-Kitchen-Faucet/1000373245

I just called Delta for my third replacement cartridge under warranty. I am actually in Delta's system as they have kept track of the previous cartridges they sent me. It uses this cartridge:

https://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/product/rp50587

delta-rp50587-diamond-cartridge-02.jpg

index.php

The cartridge lasts about 3 years before it starts to drip if not turned off perfectly. You have to fiddle with the handle to get it to stop dripping. When this happens I just call them for a new one and it is free. Delta has great customer support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks