Silt issues in well

Users who are viewing this thread

RobTaylor11

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some input on this. I've recently had a couple well issues where a fracture was covered with a liner and my casing was separated from the bedrock. Both were fixed and were bringing in ground water filled with a lot of silt. I've been going back in forth between running off the pressure tank and going to normal usage and can't get the silty clouded water to clear. I've been told to maybe dump some clean rock down the well to bury the silt so it won't get stirred up. Anyone have any experience in clearing silt from their well? Blowing the well out is not an option because it may damage the liner that was installed for the fracture. TIA

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably just need to pump the well out. Sometimes it takes days of constant running to clear up. Sometimes you have to start and stop the pump a hundred times over days of running to clear out the silt.

RobTaylor11

Reaction score
Probably just need to pump the well out. Sometimes it takes days of constant running to clear up. Sometimes you have to start and stop the pump a hundred times over days of running to clear out the silt.

We dropped the pump to the very bottom of the well (203ft) and pumped it from the pitless for about 7hrs then lifted my pump to 130ft and ran it off the pressure tank over night and it was pretty clear the next morning. I stopped running it off the pressure tank and began normal usage. It seems like the water gets worse as the day goes on.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump cycling on and off using the old pressure tank method can stir up the silt in the well. Usually best to pump it straight out of the well as the higher volume and lack of cycling will help clean up the silt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks