Water well system not working correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark D Gilbert

Reaction score
Last night my wife informed me of low water pressure . I figured it was time to change the sediment filter . As I approached the filter I checked the pressure gauge and it read 20psi. I knew there was a problem as i am using a 40/60 switch . So I checked the breaker and it was on, flipped it off and back on in an attempt to reset the pump .. no luck.. went to pressure switch and manually tried to reset it by moving the contacts.. ( had sparks) no luck here either in restarting the pump .. my water line is plastic with a barb fitting at my garage wall where it turns to copper.. I removed the barb fitting and flipped the breaker back on . Plenty of water .. so I ran and got a new pressure switch.. this time a 30/50 with a low pressure cut out switch.. ( so I can force start the pump . Installed and turned on .. took a few minutes to build up to the 30# I released the switch and it built up to 50# . .ran water and all seemed good until the second cycle .. pressure switch did not engage the pump and pressure dropped below 20# .. I tried to reset the pump again and had no luck .. turned breaker off and pulled the barb fitting again .flipped breaker on and this time had no water .. put it all back together turned on breaker and manually got the pump to give me 30# but pressure switch will not engage pump.. I'm at a loss of what to even check next .. any advice?

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the pump? Down the well, or somewhere else?

I would get a garden hose thread pressure gauge. See if that reads close to the same as your existing pressure gauge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Need an amp reading to see what the pump is doing. But my guess is the overload in the motor is tripping. Pump has probably run out of cycles and you will need a new one.

Mark D Gilbert

Reaction score
Where is the pump? Down the well, or somewhere else?

I would get a garden hose thread pressure gauge. See if that reads close to the same as your existing pressure gauge.
Pump is submersable . I was told at one time well is 245' deep

Mark D Gilbert

Reaction score
I
Need an amp reading to see what the pump is doing. But my guess is the overload in the motor is tripping. Pump has probably run out of cycles and you will need a new one.
I was afraid it was in the pump .. where do I test the amperage at?

Reach4

Reaction score
Around one of the power wires to or from the pressure switch.

In case there is something unusual, how about posting a photo that includes the barbed fitting that you mentioned, the pressure switch and the pressure gauge.

Mark D Gilbert

Reaction score
I got my water to work . Replaced pressure switch and 1/4" nipple below the pressure switch my bladder tank 0psi so I pumped it up to 36# .. have water and pressure switch is making the pump run.. but now it seems like I have less water than before. I can barely run the washer and kitchen sink at the same time . Any ideas?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The tank should not have lost it's air charge. You probably need a new tank. If while using water the pump is building up to 60 and shutting off, it is delivering plenty of water and pressure. But the tank still being waterlogged could make the pump cycle quickly and the pressure seem low.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks