Problem while installing hot water tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

John Ross

Reaction score
I just installed a new hot water tank and noticed this during installation.

After removing the old tank I installed a new shut off valve. I then turn the main water line valve back on with the new hot water tank shut shut off valve turned off. I did this so the rest of the house could have water while I continued installing the new tank.

After turning the main back on water started coming out of the pipe that would normally carry hot water from the tank to the rest of the house.

Can you please tell me how this could happen and will this problem damage my new hot water tank.

I've never seen a check valve on a line coming from a hot water tank. Is this the solution?

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that the pipe that the you intend to carry hot water, but you had not connected to the WH yet, was producing water? That would be caused by some fixture plumbing having a crossover. You might be able to isolate that by closing stop valves. You may not have stop valves for your shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks