Pipe identification

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmyjames4900

Reaction score
threaded 1 1/4 screwed in my Gould single pipe 2 inch well, what’s this actually called and where can I find it.

upload_2018-7-5_16-25-31.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
threaded 1 1/4? Is that a measurement or what? threaded 1-1/4 pvc is 1.660 OD. Add a coupler, and I don't know how you would fit that into a 2 inch pipe. 1 inch PVC Pipe is 1.315 OD.

Anyway, that should be schedule 80 PVC pipe. It is possibly be an inferior pipe (compared to schedule 80) that should not be threaded.

How about OD and ID numbers?

Last edited:

Jimmyjames4900

Reaction score
threaded 1 1/4? Is that a measurement or what? threaded 1-1/4 pvc is 1.660 OD. Add a coupler, and I don't know how you would fit that into a 2 inch pipe. 1 inch PVC Pipe is 1.315 OD.

Anyway, that should be schedule 80 PVC pipe. It is possibly be an inferior pipe (compared to schedule 80) that should not be threaded.

How about OD and ID numbers?
Sorry about the 2 inch well part, actaully the casing is 2 inch and pipe that runs down and inserts into this pipe shown is 1inch,

Basically the 1 inch pipe is down the hole and connect to adapter
upload_2018-7-5_17-8-45.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the adapter, in the area above your second photo, have one or two pipes that connect to the pump?

Jimmyjames4900

Reaction score
Does the adapter, in the area above your second photo, have one or two pipes that connect to the pump?
The adapter connects straight to pump, other end just has that screwed fitting in it. It’s the same piece shown in first pic, the 1 inch slips inside it, that’s how the local well companies donit I guess. I was just replaceing all my stuff from the flood last two years. Had it on a piece of property I own. So was no rush to get water back on.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you wanted to replace that, you could get a longer PVC nipple, and cut it to length. Or you would re-do to use threaded fittings, so keep the threads on the nipple. Examples ... https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcnip.html#100
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-884-060-1-x-6-PVC-Sch-80-Threaded-Nipple
PVC is not always white. If using both threads of a nipple, you could use a brass nipple but that costs more.

Often to connect PVC pipe to a FNPT pump input, you would glue a male threaded adapter to the pipe. That would be instead of seeking out a nipple or threading schedule 80 pipe. Schedule 80 is the same OD as schedule 40, but the walls are thicker.

Go tight, and use both PTFE tape and suitable pipe dope. A vacuum leak will give the pump problems.

You have a "shallow" well system.

Last edited:

Jimmyjames4900

Reaction score
That’s for help everyone, appears this is just thicker wall pipe that local well company threads themselves, according to these comments here. That would explain why I can find a description of it and buy it online.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
25 years ago you couldn’t buy sch80 pipe prethreaded. I would buy the grey sch80 plain end pvc pipe and thread it in my shop or on site.

It can be threaded with regular pipe dies. However Ridgid does make dies specifically for pvc. That’s what I use now.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a special reducing adapter (SRA) made in Houston to connect 1" drop pipe to the well head that is 1.25" threads. Originally the wells were made of steel casing 2" and used 1.25" drop pipe with special "turned" collars. These were regular 1.25" steel collars shaved down to fit into 2" casing. When we switched to PVC in the late 70's they found that thin PVC cracks easily and we switched to 1" PVC but still had to adapt at the top and bottom to the well head and jet which are still made 1.25" threads ( male fitting on top, female on bottom). The Special Adapter is glued onto the 1" PVC on the top and bottom and the PVC is of the belled end type and is glued all the way down. You shouldn't need to unscrew the adapter from anything other than the casing adapter. You should disconnect the casing adapter from the pump (two 3/4" nuts) and then unscrew the casing adapter from the special adapter. Be sure to use a couple of pairs of decent vise grips to keep the pipe from slipping down or a pipe vise if you've got one.

If you're careful not to let it bend too much you can pull the pipe and everything out in one string, there is nothing to unscrew like you would have with steel pipe or sch 80 screwed PVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks