Need advice on replacing shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin John

Reaction score
IMG_3778.JPG

Need advice on replacing shut off valve. The issue I am having is it's not a straight pipe where I can cut off the old sweat valve with any slack left to install a new one. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. My dilemma is shown in the picture. Thank you in advance for any help/advice that anyone can give me.

Kevin John

Reaction score
It is a threaded on valve just get one for Iron Pipe
So you're saying it's just a matter of getting through the paint and unscrewing the old valve? I should've scratched the surface of the paint and then seen that it was iron or copper. Not a professional here just trying to help out a little old lady. I've installed compression valves before but this one baffled me, I know it's an old valve and I didn't want to delve into it without some advice and be stuck in a worse position then a little drip. Maybe swapping out the guts is an answer as well I am not sure? Probably better off just unscrewing it with a pipe wrench and hoping for the best. LOL Thank you again for your advice. It really means a lot to me!

Kevin John

Reaction score
You may be able to buy another Eastman valve and just swap out the guts.
This would seem like a simpler solution if the guts of that easily removable. I'm not a professional just trying to help out a sweet lil old lady in need.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From the picture it may be a soldered on valve to copper. Scrapping some paint will tell more. If it's threaded, it would have an eight sided part behind. With the paint, it's hard to tell.

Last edited:

Kevin John

Reaction score
From the picture it may be a soldered on valve to copper. Scrapping some paint will tell more. It may be threaded, it would have an eight sided part behind if it is. With the paint, it's hard to tell.
As soon as I can get in there I will definitely figure it out. I should have removed all of that paint before posting. My bad. I live and I learn. Thank you so much.

Treeman

Reaction score
What's wrong with the current valve? If it is leaking from the stem, you might be able to just tighten the packing nut a bit to make it stop. You also might be able to remover the stem assembly and install some Teflon packing string to make a new packing seal.

Kevin John

Reaction score
From the picture it may be a soldered on valve to copper. Scrapping some paint will tell more. It may be threaded, it would have an eight sided part behind if it is. With the paint, it's hard to tell.
Yeah unfortunately I think it's a sweat valve so paint removal, map gas and flux as well as solder for the next valve. Unless compression valves can go on steel pipes. And I'm sure they can, it's amazing the products that are out there these days. But I would rather stick with the ones I know work then some new Fango dango product LOL. Thank you for all of your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sure looks like a threaded valve to me, but can't be 100% from the provided picture. IF it is, you'll want to use two wrenches...one on what appears to be the pipe fitting to keep from twisting the pipe, and a second one to remove the valve.

If you can look between the valve and the elbow and see threads, you'll know. It does appear that the fitting has flats on it to allow a wrench, and those wouldn't be there if it were a soldered on valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks