Starting a submersible that has not run for 5yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary O

Reaction score
I’ve inherited a 200’ well with a Franklin 2hp submersible pump, pressure tank setup. Well/Pump is ~13yrs old, used very little, and has been out of service for ~5 yrs. I recently rewired to a 20A 240V service and plumbed it with 1.25” pipe. I Replace 2 bronze valves that were freeze cracked. Otherwise setup remains the same.

Is it OK to power up to check if the pump runs? OR do I risk doing damage to the pump without taking some pre-start actions before powering up? What procedure should I follow?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Technically you should check the voltage and ohm out the wire and motor. But you could also just open a valve somewhere, and throw the breaker on. It will either work or it won't. Sooner or later everything gets the smoke test. If nothing smokes you are probably OK. :)

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary

We are assuming that you have the control box that is needed for this pump. Do you have an ampmeter? Full load amps on this pump is 10 amps, service factor amps is 13.2.

By the way, the correct size breaker for this pump is a 25 amp breaker.

Gary O

Reaction score
Technically you should check the voltage and ohm out the wire and motor. But you could also just open a valve somewhere, and throw the breaker on. It will either work or it won't. Sooner or later everything gets the smoke test. If nothing smokes you are probably OK. :)

Thanks to Valve Man.
Distance from cabin electric panel to pump is ~500’. Supply store “expert” advised me that #4 wire with 20A breaker would be adequate to supply surge power with acceptable voltage drop at 10A operating power at this distance. Next size up wire was a cost factor. I will test out the voltage during operation I intend to give it a try and look for smoke.

Gary O

Reaction score
Thanks to Valve Man.
Distance from cabin electric panel to pump is ~500’. Supply store “expert” advised me that #4 wire with 20A breaker would be adequate to supply surge power with acceptable voltage drop at 10A operating power at this distance. Next size up wire was a cost factor. I will test out the voltage during operation I intend to give it a try and look for smoke.

I based my math on the same tech data for this franklin motor: 10A, 13.2A. Also I am using the original control box setup installed with pump by the well service installers 13yrs ago. All original equipment except for a couple freezes cracked valves that I replaced. 25A breakers sound good, but are they oversized for #4 wire? Guess I’ll find out if 20A breaker will work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Supply store “expert” advised me that #4 wire with 20A breaker would be adequate to supply surge power with acceptable voltage drop at 10A operating power at this distance. Next size up wire was a cost factor.
#4 is more than big enough. #6 would have probably been fine, so you have margin. A 25 amp breaker would be typical to use with a 2 hp pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am showing a 2HP needs a 30 amp breaker. Also yeah #6 wire is good to 970', and #8 is good to 620'. The problem with #4 will be getting it into the little lug in a 30 amp disconnect. They make special connector to crimp onto the wire that have small shafts sticking out to fit in the lugs.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am showing a 2HP needs a 30 amp breaker.
I see my "MF1311 12-14" version of the AIM manual has a typo. It shows 30 amps for the 1.5 HP and 25 amps for the 2 HP, which is an obvious error.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Oh yeah and technically you don't want to oversize wire to a submersible. Using the longest length of the smallest wire possible will give you a 5% voltage drop, which will reduce starting current by 20% and 36% reduced torque. Not only will the wire be much less expensive, but people pay a lot of money for soft starters that don't work as well as small wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks