Backwash filter

Users who are viewing this thread

pmfleisch

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to solve a sediment clogging the whole house filter situation. We've got a lot of brownish rust sediment that blocks up our 10" x 4.5" whole house water filter. When it dries it's a fine rusty powder. We have a softener down the line and use RO for our drinking water, so overall water quality is not an issue. I tried not using the whole house filter for a while and we were getting brown stains on shower curtains etc. I was thinking of installing a unit that has a self cleaning mechanism - one of those filter canisters that has a drain on it where it runs the water the other way through the filter and drains the dirty water. I'm trying to save some money which I realize is usually a bad idea. Just checking to see if it's worth checking that option before going to a full sized backwash filter.

Thanks,

Paul

Reach4

Reaction score
That rust you see is ferric iron. Wells often have iron that you don't see -- ferrous iron. Presuming you have that too, you would be best served by a backwashing filter that handles both kinds of iron. If you search, you will see references in the softener forum (which serves as a water treatment forum) to "Katalox Light". This is a popular medium that deals with iron and filters down to about 5 microns. The filter backwashes about every 3 days (settable depending on the need).

Spend the money. This is money better spent than a lot of other purchases that people make.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks