Connecting a British toilet in the US

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean M

Reaction score
I purchased a snazzy "european" style toilet replacement only to find myself in a little conundrum installing. The water supply connection point is 1/2" BSPP threading (male, img_6160).

This obviously doesn't fit the typical 7/8" ballcock water supply line one typically finds in the US (img_6156).

Question, if not obvious, is how should I go about getting this toilet connected?

I've not found *any* 7/8" adapters. I have found 1/2" BSPP to NPT, but I would still need some sort of flexible hose to get from there to the cpvc line. To slightly complicated matters, I'd really love to also connect a 7/8" female to male sprayer (img_6155), which I don't see how I can do that at all (as I've not found any NPT-to-7/8" adapters)...

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6155.jpg
    IMG_6155.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_6160.jpg
    IMG_6160.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 213

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the hole in the tank is compatible, it might be easiest to just replace the fill valve in the tank with a US one. IT would then also be easier to find replacement parts. Remove the nut on the bottom holding it in, pull it out, measure the ID of the hole and see if a US valve will fit and seal. Suggest one of the Korky's that has an adjustable balance valve to keep the tank/bowl fill proper. A new Korky is probably less than $15, and likely to be cheaper than buying a bunch of adapters, if you can find them.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've not found *any* 7/8" adapters. I have found 1/2" BSPP to NPT, but I would still need some sort of flexible hose to get from there to the cpvc line.
I think you are saying that you want to get from your CPVC pipe to the bottom thread on IMG_6155.jpg. You are saying, I think, that you have located an adapter that can go there, and that gives you a 1/2 MNPT thread to connect to?

You want to put a valve on the CPVC, and those have various types of outputs, with the most common being 3/8 compression. You would then want to find a flex line that can connect 3/8 compression to 1/2 NPT. Those are commonly available I think. Lots of choice of length. for example, https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...0035-c-9413.htm?tid=648247052386839132&ipos=4

Sean M

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I took the fill valve out and discovered a standard faucet supply 1/2" FIP has nearly identical threading (14tpi). Going to give that a try along with a 3/8" splitter for the sprayer (removing the 7/8" splitter).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks