Short Cycling Well Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Craig Sprinkle

Reaction score
I have three different zones on my sprinkler system. Zone 1 is the only zone that my pump short cycles on, zones 2 & 3 the pump works fine.

History, my system is three years old. Last year zone one did the SAME thing and it had a clogged or blocked diaphragm. I cleaned it and all was well. This year, short cycling again. I checked for blockage and all looked good. But the release valve would not tighten down. I replaced the ENTIRE top of the sprinkler valve (everything) and it still short cycles.

Here is another puzzle piece: if I run the outside faucet and zone 1 simultaneously the pump DOES NOT S/C!

Please.

Help meeeeeeee!

Reach4

Reaction score
Your zone 1 does not use enough water. Use bigger sprinkler heads for less time.

You don't define short cycling, and you don't say what the minimum pump run time is. You may also have a failing pressure tank that makes the condition worse.

Craig Sprinkle

Reaction score
Your zone 1 does not use enough water. Use bigger sprinkler heads for less time.

You don't define short cycling, and you don't say what the minimum pump run time is. You may also have a failing pressure tank that makes the condition worse.

Short Cycling: pump runs for less than a second and cuts off about 3 seconds and repeats. I discovered the old tank was water logged and replaced it was a new tank set at 48 psi (30/50 pressure switch). I have the zones set at 15 minutes each which run consecutively. The heads for zones 2 & 3 are rotator heads while zone 1 has spray nozzles. Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You must have a very small tank? To stop cycling every zone has to put out as much as the pump can supply, OR you need a Cycle Stop Valve to eliminate cycling no matter how small the zones are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks