NEC 2017 dishwasher question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I live in Baltimore City. I have a question about the requirements for wiring up a dishwasher to the NEC 2017.
I know there are some changes. I would also suspect they would apply to the garbage disposal as well.
This is what I understand.

The dishwasher receptacle must be installed in the space adjacent to the dishwasher, and not in the space the dishwasher occupies.

The two receptacles (for DW and GD on separate circuits) must be AFCI protected.

They must be GFCI protected if within 6-feet of the “top inside edge of the sink bowl”.

So if they are mounted in the sink base cabinet put them on a AFCI/GFCI breaker.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
You did not specify the question. If you are asking if you need an AFCI+GFCI breaker, you could use AFCI+GFCI outlets instead.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
You did not specify the question. If you are asking if you need an AFCI+GFCI breaker, you could use AFCI+GFCI outlets instead.
I guess I forgot to ask the question. Too much typing.

Per the requirements of NEC 2017 do I have to have AFCI and GFCI protection for the two receptacles in the sink base (one for DW and one for GD on separate circuits)?

Thanks for the reply.

Stuff

Reaction score
DW yes for both. AFCI yes for both. For GD it depends on how your local authority defines "door" since passing through a door is exempt from GFCI. Is a cabinet door a door?

Gagecalman

Reaction score
DW yes for both. AFCI yes for both. For GD it depends on how your local authority defines "door" since passing through a door is exempt from GFCI. Is a cabinet door a door?
Thanks for the reply.
I will call the office today to hear what they say.
I did a search and there's a lot of different opinions about "is a cabinet door a door"?
Some say code is a minimum and if you are required to AFCI protect you might as well put it on a AFCI/GFCI breaker.

I wonder if they handle a microwave receptacle the same way if it's next to the sink.

Norcal01

Reaction score
A dishwasher requires GFCI protection NEC art 210.8(D) new in the 2014 NEC, they also have to be accessible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks