New Pump System

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikerf12

Reaction score
Hello,

My well pump system is aging and the pump seems likes it is getting close to failing by the noises it’s making.

The current system is a two pipe pump system. The well is a 16’ well with a yield of 25 gpm.

The house has two full bathrooms, a washing machine, dishwasher, five outside hose bibs, two of which are utilized for lawn irrigation. The house hot water is produced by a combi boiler. There will also be an acid neutrilizer and water softening system installed once the new pump system is put in. The outside hose bibs has been installed before the future water side bring and acid neutralizing system to prevent using treated water for outside purposes.

After reading many posts on this forum and my basic understanding of well systems, I seem drawn to a new pump with a CSV system such as the sidekick system.

Any recommendation on pump sizing and CSV selection including good brands and models would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
How much altitude between the well and the pump? The reason that I ask is that it is unusually to have a 2-pipe system for a 16-ft deep well. If the pump was a much higher altitude, that could explain it.

Is your well casing 2.5 inch OD 2 inch ID? If your well were 4.5 OD or bigger, you could consider a submersible pump. Actually, maybe even 3.5 OD 3 Id.

Mikerf12

Reaction score
How much altitude between the well and the pump? The reason that I ask is that it is unusually to have a 2-pipe system for a 16-ft deep well. If the pump was a much higher altitude, that could explain it.

Is your well casing 2.5 inch OD 2 inch ID? If your well were 4.5 OD or bigger, you could consider a submersible pump. Actually, maybe even 3.5 OD 3 Id.

The bottom of the well according to the well completion report I have is 16’. The well pump is a jet pump that sits on the basement floor. I would guess it’s approximately 8’ higher than the bottom of the well.

The well casing is 4’ diameter concrete casing and cap.

My limited understanding has me baffled why it’s a two pipe system.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 2-wire 1/2 HP submersible pump delivers lots of water with less drama than a jet pump. It is also very quiet.

You could probably use one of the existing pipes as a conduit for wires.

Mikerf12

Reaction score
A 2-wire 1/2 HP submersible pump delivers lots of water with less drama than a jet pump. It is also very quiet.

The easiest solution seems to be just replacing the two pipe jet pump with a new one and I have been looking into the cycles top valves.com kit. Just don’t know if there a particular brand pup I should consider. Given the load I’m thinking a 3/4 hp jet pump seems like the way to go.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You will lose about 10 PSI through the softener/filter. So starting with a 40/60 switch and constant 50 PSI from a CSV will only give you 40 PSI at the shower. As has been said, a submersible would give you more flow and pressure. But if you want to use a single pipe jet, a J5SH or a J15S will have a max pressure of 80, so you can run 50/70 on the pressure switch. This will give you a constant 60 PSI from the CSV, which after the softener/filter will still give you 50 PSI to the showers. And the PK1A will work with any of those pressure settings and it doesn't matter if it is a sub or jet. But I would recommend the 10 gallon size tank if you end up using the 50/70 pressure switch setting.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

I agree. Much less drama and not all that difficult. If you change out the size of the deep well jet pump you might need to also change out the jet down at the bottom of the well. You get nearly double the performance with a sub.

Mikerf12

Reaction score
So I am still trying to determine what do with this setup. I don't understand why a 16' Deep well would have a two pipe system. My sprinkler system for my lawn has stopped working due to low pressure. In the end I am looking fo a setup that will deliver the 50-70 pressure described above.

I would really prefer not to use the submersible option, and cant seem to figure out if a two pipe pump will deliver the pressures for the Cyclestop Valve described above. For various reasons I am very interested in trying the cyclestop setup.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't really need a two pipe jet pump when the water is less than 24' deep. But you can use a two pipe jet pump in a shallow well if you want. The two pipe jet pump is made to deliver water from a greater depth than 24', so it will build more pressure than a single pipe shallow well jet pump.

Here is a chart for single pipe jet pumps.
https://www.lockewell.com/pdf/goulds/j-series.pdf

Here is a chart for two pipe jet pumps.
http://documentlibrary.xylemapplied...551.695799610.1526646563-651403398.1526646563

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks