Low jet pressure on 2 inch well with packer.

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have problems with my water well again. Last repair was about 7 years ago, When I replaced the packer/jet assembly.

1 HP 3 stage pump with flow/pressure regulator.

Volume is low and pressure is about 20 psi max.

When I adjust the regulator to send more water to the jet, 20 psi is the max that I can get.

I am trying to guess if it is the pump itself , Regulator or the Packer assy at fault.

I am pretty sure it is not a casing or leathers leak, Because it will hold at 20 psi over night with pump off. I see no water leaks top side. The 40 foot well should have plenty of water.

At first I thought the jet was plug, But seems that the jet pressure would be higher if that was the case. ???

Any clues on what the problem may be ?

Thank You in advance.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Stay rite pumps notorious for broken impellers. The bottom one always it is.

You are correct it is two stage, My mistake.

It is a older black Flotec.

If the impeller was broke would it make a strange noise ? It sounds normal when running.

Thank You.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably won't hear a broken impeller, nothing spinning. Could also be a clogged jet. But the impeller is above ground and would be an easy first thing to check.

DonL

Reaction score
Probably won't hear a broken impeller, nothing spinning. Could also be a clogged jet. But the impeller is above ground and would be an easy first thing to check.

OK.

I am looking for new gaskets, Not sure I can reuse them.

The parts for this pump are stupid expensive. $15 for gaskets, 2 required. Impeller $50, 2 required.

This pump is vertical mount, So direct replacements are limited.

Thank You.

upload_2018-4-12_8-36-35.png

DonL

Reaction score
Don that pump takes a 76p impeller. They are kinda expensive.

I found a website that has the FPP1657 rebuild kit that includes 2 impellers for $44.00.

For the cheap price, I am not sure if I trust them.

I need to take the pump apart for inspection.

Last time I took the pump apart it was OK, And the jet assemble was broke into 2 pieces.

The water level is at about 15 feet, Seems like the pump (If working properly) should make more pressure even without the jet working ???

Sometimes I think I just need to get a bigger new well put in. And get rid of this 2 inch, convert it to a pitcher pump.

Thank you for your input.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the jet came in two is the other half still in the well? If so the water level is not really 15 ft. The stuck jet gives you a false reading on your water level. Also I now suspect that your leathers are bad. The stuck jet lets it hold prime but the water blows by the jet.

DonL

Reaction score
If the jet came in two is the other half still in the well? If so the water level is not really 15 ft. The stuck jet gives you a false reading on your water level. Also I now suspect that your leathers are bad. The stuck jet lets it hold prime but the water blows by the jet.

Yes, I could not get the old foot valve out. So you are correct on the water level, I did not even think about it until now.

The old jet pack was cast iron and the new one I installed is brass.

The open flow rate looks fairly good, Just won't build up beyond 20 psi.

Thank You for setting me straight.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
No need to disassemble the pump. Remove it from the Well head and look at the impeller from the inlet. Use a screwdriver to spin the impeller and see if it's broke. Impeller good pull jet.

DonL

Reaction score
No need to disassemble the pump. Remove it from the Well head and look at the impeller from the inlet. Use a screwdriver to spin the impeller and see if it's broke. Impeller good pull jet.

OK. I will do that today or tomorrow.

My neighbor is sharing his well with me, So I should have time to check it out and order new leathers If I need to pull it out.

Thank You.

DonL

Reaction score

I removed the well pump and the first thing that I noticed, Was the Impeller Lock Nut turned on the threaded shaft very easy. The impeller seemed to rotate fine, And the nut can be adjusted so the impeller does not rub, The nut just lost its Lock in place capability.
upload_2018-4-21_13-22-56.png

Could the impeller not being centered in the volute be causing my problem ? Or is it OK as long as it is not rubbing the top or bottom of the volute ?

PS: Are these worth buying ? WAYNE CWS75 3 year warranty. My Flotec is 25+ years old, May be a good time to replace it.
ddc072d6-4562-486d-bcaa-14cf0c3c5cb1._SR285,285_.jpg

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The locknut should be tight. Definitely not hand tight. The shaft should spin somewhat freely but not be too tight.

That sta rite pump you have should be among the best ever made. That Wayne is probably among the worst. If you look at the service factor for your pump you'll notice it says 1.65.
Which means the motor is closer to being a 1.5 than a 1.

DonL

Reaction score
The locknut should be tight. Definitely not hand tight. The shaft should spin somewhat freely but not be too tight.

That sta rite pump you have should be among the best ever made. That Wayne is probably among the worst. If you look at the service factor for your pump you'll notice it says 1.65.
Which means the motor is closer to being a 1.5 than a 1.

Thank you for the heads up.

I am going to order a new nut ($20 :eek:) .

It may be a waste of time, But I am going to try back flowing the suction line with 60 psi of water pressure, In hopes of clearing the jet and the jet inlet screen that my jet pack has.

I need to get some leathers before I pull it up. I think you recommend to never reuse them.

I hate to buy a new pump of same model ($550) just for test. I think my pump is fine except for the impeller lock nut.

Thank you for all of your help. How far away are you from Alvin ?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Southern part of the county. About a 45 minute drive for you. Check with Gulf South Supply in Houston for all the parts you need.

PM Sent as well.

DonL

Reaction score
Southern part of the county. About a 45 minute drive for you. Check with Gulf South Supply in Houston for all the parts you need.

I am about to bite the bullet.

My neighbor has been nice and has provided me with water.

I need to buy a new water tank.

Is there any tank that will last 30+ years like the Old School ones ?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is only one brand of galvanized tank left in America. Quick Tank galvanized tanks AFAIK. There are some other ones that are not galv. but glass lined. I would stick to galvanized tanks. If yours has a hole in it you probably have poor quality water. Most tanks here outlast the people unless it's a shallow well with bad water (low pH).

TSC (Tractor Supply) sells the tanks for a decent price, but recent tarrif's have really upped the price. You could go with bladder but some people say that the water will start stinking when you do. Around your area you've got a bunch of options but Almeda Water Well is probably the closest.

An old mod on here used to work out of that area, but I do not think he's active anymore.

If TSC doesn't have the 82 try McCoys if you don't want to go to a water well supply.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks