Help Identifying Old Shower Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Oldfaucet

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am a longtime lurker, first time poster. I hope I am posting in correct forum, if not my apologies.

I am trying to identify this old shower/bathtub valve system so I can get some parts to stop it from dripping when the valves are shut off. I know the top handles have been replaced, but the lower handles are original. The valves probably go back to the late 80s, early 90s, I would guess, but not sure.

faucet 1.jpg faucet 2.jpg faucet 3.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Vinny

Reach4

Reaction score
When you pull the stem, look inside. You may see a square or hex hole. That would be the seat, and you would unscrew that with a seat wrench.

Oldfaucet

Reaction score
When you pull the stem, look inside. You may see a square or hex hole. That would be the seat, and you would unscrew that with a seat wrench.

You think these old valves will have seats that can be removed and replaced? I am afraid sourcing parts may be difficult. I am going to try taking one apart next week just to look at the parts, measure them and see if I can get them at HD.

Thanks.

Oldfaucet

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, had the pellet stove quit on me and some kind of critter stumping around on the roof. Any way, took it apart and replaced the washers. The ones on there were in bad shape and they were labeled 3/8L. I only had 3/8M on hand and used that as a short term fix. I didn't even want to try removing the seats, but the square side of the seat wrench seemed to fit. Anyway, here are some pictures.

This is the valve with the replacement clamp-on-handle because the handle threads on the stem are worn out.
valve 1.jpg

Here it is apart.
valve 2.jpg

Some measurements
valve 3.jpg

valve 4.jpg

This is the cap that screws onto the fitting that sticks out the wall
valve 5.jpg

The inside measurement of that fitting. I counted about 4 threads on it.
valve 6.jpg

On the valve stem I counted about 6.

If any one recognizes them, or what I could use as a replacement valve stem, please let me know.

Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks