Question about Toto Aimes, Unifit, water supply line from floor

Users who are viewing this thread

elke2000

Reaction score
I have an old house with a 14-inch rough in toilet and hoped to use a Unifit adaptor to get space back in a small bathroom. Was looking at Toto Vespin, but then realized my water supply line comes out of the floor about 5.5 inches from center and the skirt could bump it. It's a tile on concrete, which we will be covering with new tile. The Toto Aimes seems to taper in the back, but is there enough space from the wall so the water line doesn't make contact with the skirt? I asked Toto technical support, but they say I need 8 inches between the water supply line and the center, and never answered my question about the dimensions of the Aimes' taper in the back. Why is the 8-inch separation necessary? Does it affect the function of the toilet somehow? If that doesn't matter, could I shift the toilet even a quarter-inch to the right away from the water supply line if I need to?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
legato_03.jpg

It depends on where the water comes up from the floor.
The base of the bowl is fairly wide, so unless it sneaks in behind where it angle off, it better be over to the side some.
I think where it meets the floor is under 12", so 5.5" puts it under the bowl.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms624214_spec.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score
Why is the 8-inch separation necessary? Does it affect the function of the toilet somehow?
If it fits, lack of clearance will not affect the toilet function. I don't know if it will fit.

If that doesn't matter, could I shift the toilet even a quarter-inch to the right away from the water supply line if I need to?
Probably. The Unifit has slots. You could probably get 1/4 inch off center without filing the slots.

Last edited:

elke2000

Reaction score
Thank you, all! I've attached pix to try to make it clearer. The pipe is about 2 inches from the wall tile, and that tile will be coming out. The pipe seems to be 5.5 inches to the left of the center of the toilet. In the photo Terry posted above, I'm wondering what the distance is between the wall and where the skirt starts to angle inward. I'm hoping that the pipe will come up in that sort of triangle space and clear the skirt laterally. The top of the shut-off is 6 inches above the floor, so it might be "lower" when we put new tile over the old floor.

water supply line 1.JPG water supply line 2.JPG

elke2000

Reaction score
I hope so. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the wall to that bend in the Aimes? If it's a little more than two inches, I think it could work. I was originally thinking of the Vespin II, which is less expensive, but I think that might be riskier because the skirt stays wide going all the way back to the wall. I would really like to avoid having to get a 14 inch rough toilet. :)

Reach4

Reaction score

elke2000

Reaction score
Yes, I have looked at it, probably too long. LOL Actually, do you know what the diameter of the Unifit "circle" is nearest the wall for the toilet drain? That might give me a rough idea of how much space is there since it looks close to the taper. Thanks for the other toilet suggestions, but I don't want those because I need to use a 14 inch Unifit to adapt to 12 inch, and for that I need a skirted toilet.

Reach4

Reaction score
because I need to use a 14 inch Unifit to adapt to 12 inch, and for that I need a skirted toilet.
If you need a 14 inch Unifit for a 14 inch rough-in, that makes sense. I would not call that adapting to 12 inch.

This picture of a 12 inch Unifit has some serious parallax problem, but it might be useful to you:

index.php

The closet bolts are actually about 13 inches or so from the wall, and they look like they are about 12 inches from the wall in the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks