Kohler canister style toilet running after flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Yang

Reaction score
i have a five year old Kohler toilet with their canister style design. Once in a while, several days, after normal flush, the water will keep running. The tank is not filled. I just need to jiggle the handle a couple of times, it will go back filling the tank and everything seems to be fine. It is very annoying since I don’t know when it will run after flushing.

Before I start to replace something, where should I start? Thanks so much.

Reach4

Reaction score
Before I start to replace something, where should I start?
Lift the lid on the tank, and see what you can see. Chain twisted? Something else?

When you jiggle, watch what happens then.

Yang

Reaction score
Lift the lid on the tank, and see what you can see. Chain twisted? Something else?

When you jiggle, watch what happens then.
I didn’t see anything abnormal except the canister is not sealed. By jiggling the handle, started to fill the tank. I didn’t notice the obvious twisted chain.

Yang

Reaction score
This is how my toilet looks like. When it is running, the tank is not filling. don't think it is due to twisted chain either.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 5,764

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Start by replacing the rubber seal at the bottom of the canister. Clean off the area where the bottom of the canister seals against the rest of the flush valve. Make sure no dirt or gunk is keeping the canister from falling back down to seal. One of those should fix the problem.

canister-seal-yellow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yang

Reaction score
I spent this week closely monitoring this toilet. What I noticed, every time after the flush, the black canister moved closewisely a little bit. Over the time, the chain is stretched too far and the canister fails to fall completely. Should I go ahead replacing the canister?

Reach4

Reaction score
I spent this week closely monitoring this toilet. What I noticed, every time after the flush, the black canister moved closewisely a little bit. Over the time, the chain is stretched too far and the canister fails to fall completely.
I wonder if a bead chain would ignore the twists. This says it is for American Standard, but maybe you could adapt it or some other beaded chain.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Flush-Valve-Chain-for-American-Standard-88408/205172174
everbilt-installation-supply-kits-88408-64_145.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, but I like the way you think. I thought it might be that the chain was hooked onto the flush arm in an uncentered location, as many arms have several holes that can be used. Then I looked back at the picture he posted and saw that there was only one spot to hook the chain up to. Ran out of prepositions on that one.

Megan m

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the solution? I have the exact same problem- plumber told me we probably need to buy an entire canister. Was that the case for you?

Mac1

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the solution? I have the exact same problem- plumber told me we probably need to buy an entire canister. Was that the case for you?
I’m not to that point. Haven’t consulted a plumber yet. My toilet is not standard due to the “rough in” measurement. The angles and chain length differ from my other two toilets purchased at the same time. I need to figure out how to keep the chain from wrapping around the canister. Maybe some type of sleeve around the chain. I would replace the canister but it’s not worn out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks