Soldering next to a threaded fitting on a three way shower diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Trevor Persson

Reaction score
I have five lines coming in and out of a new shower diverter. I did all the copper soldering of elbows and such prior to fitting the lines to the diverter, so that I wouldn't heat up the unit. I applied plumbers tape to the threads, supplied by the manufacturer (Pearl), about 2-3 wraps, then I used a wrench to install the fitting with the pre-soldered pipes. Final solder joints were done about 12-20" from the unit for each line. After all that the hot & cold threaded fittings have a very slow leak, so now I have to fix it while it's installed.

I only have about 3-4" of copper from the threaded fitting to the first elbow, so I can cut out that section and re-solder it, but I can't figure out why I have a leak and I'm concerned that when I solder that close to the fitting it will damage the tape and create a leak. I believe it's a brass diverter, I used a copper connector to a 1/2" pipe. I've done lots of copper soldering and that part is threaded fitting is new to me.

Should I use "PFTE Thread Compound" or does anyone have a better idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime you thread in a male adapter to the body of the shower valve, it needs to be pretty tight. Tape and then some thread sealant over that helps to seal. Either tape, or sealant should work, but sometimes both being used is even better.

Trevor Persson

Reaction score
Anytime you thread in a male adapter to the body of the shower valve, it needs to be pretty tight. Tape and then some thread sealant over that helps to seal. Either tape, or sealant should work, but sometimes both being used is even better.

Thanks Terry. I was pretty aggressive with the wrench, but I'll add some sealant this next time.

Trevor Persson

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I was pretty aggressive with the wrench, but I'll add some sealant this next time.

I went back to Rona to get supplies and asked there as well, he asked about the tape I used. When he heard what it was, he immediately showed me some proper tape and was very critical of any tape provided with the diverter. The tape was pink and much thicker that most.

I also used sealant with the tape and everything worked out great this go around. Thanks Terry.

David Yates

Reaction score
I went back to Rona to get supplies and asked there as well, he asked about the tape I used. When he heard what it was, he immediately showed me some proper tape and was very critical of any tape provided with the diverter. The tape was pink and much thicker that most.

I also used sealant with the tape and everything worked out great this go around. Thanks Terry.
Amazing - we know each other!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks