I’m scared to travel by air but I want to see my gf. Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

edwin281

Reaction score
My problem may seem comical to some but yes, I am absolutely terrified of heights. I can’t step on a plane and I’m terrified to travel by air. I have never tried going to another country but I’m seriously considering to face my fears for my Filipina girlfriend. I met her online and since then, we’ve been together for more than a year now.

We’ve always talked about seeing each other in person but again, I honestly can’t stand heights. I get nauseated just thinking about it. She even offered to come visit me instead but she doesn’t have the resources to process the required documents for traveling abroad.

It would still take a long time to get everything for her to come visit me here in the United States but her birthday is fast approaching. I’m planning to spend her special day with her in person and I want to get to know her family.

But first, I need to conquer this phobia of mine. If you guys have some tips and ways on how I can travel by air despite my fears, then it would help me out a lot. I really need help with this and I would literally do anything for my girlfriend. Help me please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
I would suggest Going to a children's park And practice going down the slides there. Those are about 10' high and that will help you get used to some height. Next, try staring into a coffee cup And imagine a world far, far away. A world with tall cliffs and raging rivers far below. Feel the height and then take a boat ride there. I mean why not?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It's still possible to book passage on a freight ship as a passenger. It won't be as convenient to pick your time of departure/arrival as with airliners and it takes a couple of weeks at sea, but it can happen. (Many crews on Pacific and Indian ocean ships are predominantly Filipino.)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your fear is not uncommon, and it's mostly up in your head. You can overcome it with Fear of Flying Therapy.

More people die in car accidents than in crashes.

I remember one time Southwest had a bunch of scared people flying together for the first time after Therapy...some of whom became frequent flyers later.

If you absolutely can't do it, let her come here. Don't send her money for a ticket, make reservations here instead (refundable of course, in case she cancels) and give her the reservation confirmation code.

Too many rip off stories with foreign GFs.

maxamber

Reaction score
This may be the time when you can cure phobia. Most people worry that it comes down to a lack of understanding. You don't think about height but think about air travel as the safest way to get public transportation. If you can't convince yourself, then you can sleep or read a book directly on the plane. Every time I need to travel by air, I will bring a neck pillow to help me sleep better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks