Washer Standpipe floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Tex13

Reaction score
I'm still working on the remodel....
My washer needed new valves so I had those installed last week. The plumber cut the sheet rock all the way down to the floor. This weekend I washing clothes and noticed water trickling out where the pvc standpipe attaches to the castiron. Is this a seal problem, or a clogged drain?
20171226_151241.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a seal problem. Normally I install 2" pipe into a 2" hub. I see you have a bushed down 1.5"
Where is the p-trap for this?

Tex13

Reaction score
That's a seal problem. Normally I install 2" pipe into a 2" hub. I see you have a bushed down 1.5"
Where is the p-trap for this?
Sorry, I don't know. It's a slab foundation, does that help?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sorry, I don't know. It's a slab foundation, does that help?

Normally on a slab, they will put the p-trap at about 10" above the floor. If there isn't a p-trap, now would be a good time to add one. Shine a light down and see if you have standing water. If not, it needs a trap, which is vented to prevent siphoning. It's what keeps the sewer gas from entering your home.

Tex13

Reaction score
I could not see very far down, but no standing water. Here a picture of the entire set up. This is an interior wall. I've lived here 35 years. Could the ptrap be under the slab, like the shower drain?
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20171226_202625.jpg
    20171226_202625.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 354

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I doubt that you have a p-trap under the slab.
If you did, there would be two pipes. One for a standpipe and the second for the vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks