water streaming from venturi hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Corman

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have a venturi type air injector to add air into my pressure tank (to allow my iron filter to do its thing). This morning my wife noticed a thin but constant stream running out of the end of the venturi hose on a non-stop basis. She doesn't think that the pump is running, nor the pressure tank cycling (I'm not home, but I can't see how water can be coming from there unless the pump is running and pushing water past the venturi 'loop'). When she does run the water into the basin near where the water comes into the house from the well, she says there seems to be more sediment than usual. She tried adjusting the valve on the venturi to adjust the amount of suction, but she says it doesn't have any effect on the stream. I wish I was there to see it for myself!

My thinking is that there is a sediment or mineral deposit plug somewhere in there, making water come out instead of a vacuum/suction being created. Doesn't make sense to me that water would be coming out without the well pump actually running and pressure tank activating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..... Just wondering if this is as simple as taking the portion of the loop with the hose out and cleaning it with a pipe cleaner (which I can do myself when I get home), or if it this is something else that I need to call a well/pump guy in to look at. Living in rural area, the service call charge itself would be hefty.

Thanks!
Corman

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What brand? There has to be a checkvalve on the air inlet to keep water from coming out when the pump is not running, assuming it is inline between the pump and the HP tank. On a Waterite brand, the checkvalve looks like a small binky. If you have a sediment issue, that will be very hard on the micronizer.
U1031-4.jpg

Corman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a micronizer per-say. Where the micronozer would usually be is just a thin section of pipe with the hose attached to it. I've attached a picture that shows what my system looks like (it's not my system, just one I found online that looks the same)...

upload_2017-12-18_11-41-44.png

In the spring my pressure tank (hydro-pneumatic) starting short cycling. I fixed that problem by taking about the 'black pipe' part and cleaning it and in particular the small hole leading out from the nipple. It was crusted with mineral deposits. That fixed the short cycling. The water leaking out in a new one on me. When you say the checkvalve, are you talking about the valve with the blue handle in the pic above?

------

What brand? There has to be a checkvalve on the air inlet to keep water from coming out when the pump is not running, assuming it is inline between the pump and the HP tank. On a Waterite brand, the checkvalve looks like a small binky. If you have a sediment issue, that will be very hard on the micronizer.
U1031-4.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a Mazzei injector. I have one like that on the drip system to my garden. The little stub where you put the tube over unscrews. Inside you will find a little ball check and a spring. Usually the rubber washer under the ball can be flipped over and make it work again.

Corman

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Corman.

That is a Mazzei injector. I have one like that on the drip system to my garden. The little stub where you put the tube over unscrews. Inside you will find a little ball check and a spring. Usually the rubber washer under the ball can be flipped over and make it work again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks