Repipe with PEX questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Cliff P

Reaction score
Hello , As of last week I shut my water off at the well. Found leak (Copper in slab) I was suspecting sooner or later. I plumbed it in back in 84. I would like to put in PEX but not sure which one or type fittings. I am leaning toward Uponor ep in the attic.
Just need some push.Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done three repipes using the Uponor stuff with the expansion tool. I've used both brass and ep fittings and they seem to fit up the same. There's a lot to like about the system but a few glitchy things as well.

The type A PEX is noticeably better to work with than the regular HD stuff. Type B? It'll make a tighter turn without kinking and you'll find yourself using very few 90 elbows. There's a snap-in brace for corners that eliminates cutting and fitting an elbow in a particular location.

You have to plan the job ahead and order your parts accordingly. I don't think they're in stores yet, so if you need something and don't have it, it will slow things down for you. I tended to have leftover elbows, and could have used more 3/4x 1/2 fittings and m&f adapters.

The tool costs something over 400 dollars, but should be easy to sell when the job is done. My second repipe customer gave me the tool and leftover fittings when I called him up later on to see if he would lend/sell it to me.
A prince he was. My kind of customer.

One other thing comes to mind. Since you'll likely be running pipes in the attic, rodents love to chew this stuff. Had to do a bunch of repairs in the last house I lived in on account of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliff P

Reaction score
Thanks for that info bud. Everything sounds good except about the mice.lol....I kind of figured that too.
What if I ran tubing thru a larger pipe at the top plates. All the tubing will be hung off of rafters then looping down .. Maybe that would help in attic. How long has this ep stuff been out?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for that info bud. Everything sounds good except about the mice.lol....I kind of figured that too.
What if I ran tubing thru a larger pipe at the top plates. All the tubing will be hung off of rafters then looping down .. Maybe that would help in attic. How long has this ep stuff been out?
Not sure, Cliff. The brass looks more trustworthy, but it probably doesn't matter. If you need to redo a fitting use heat. The least nick on the barbs will make it leak. Also, if the pipe is wet where you're installing a fitting it won't work. The compression ring will walk off down the pipe while you're cycling the tool.

Cliff P

Reaction score
I am just thinking about going with 1 " trunk line with 3/4 " feeders to water stops and shower valves. Those 1/2" fittings i d looks mighty small.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Of all the PEX brass crimp fittings,,,,,,,which ones have the thickest wall?
I have not used those, and I don't know how much difference there is.

I know the F1960 expansion fittings have a bigger ID than those used with the clamp and crimp methods. You can get a hand tool that is not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the power tools.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks