Extension handle for Square D QO 200A main breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I've got 2 200-A service panels in the house. They both have the main breakers oriented horizontally, way up high, and they're almost impossible to switch. Larger breakers have auxiliary handles to make the job easier, but I haven't been able to find one for the QO 200A. Schneider Electric haven't responded. Any suggestions?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
gorilla-ladders-step-stools-gls-2cs-64_400_compressed.jpg

Mikey

Reaction score
Tried that. Have to brace against a nearby wall to turn them off, no wall on the other side to help turn them on. But very creative.

Stuff

Reaction score
Probably doesn't help but per code handles are not be be more than 2m/6'7" from the floor. But if so it is legal to build a platform to effectively raise the floor.

You are right about handle extensions for bigger breakers. You can try an open end wrench. Find a plastic one in a child's toy set if worried about being conductive.

Mikey

Reaction score
You can try an open end wrench.
I'll try that. Ultimately, I'm going to measure the handle to see exactly how a handle should be formed (1/2" square hole is probably close), and make a long handle. There are problems, though; for example: I'm sure the CB has to really "snap" open and closed, so you can't have a solid extension to the handle that might allow you to slow the action down. I'll see if I can get a trashed CB from an electrical firm locally to practice on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks